2001Grand Cherokee Hard starting

Old 09-30-09, 12:22 PM
2001Grand Cherokee Hard starting

Hello,
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, is hard to start, have checked fuel pressure is at 45 as prescribed, have check vacuum no leaks.
Could this be a throttle position sensor, or , Mass Air Sensor, I just don't know where to check now.

Best Regards,
Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ted, have you had the codes run, yet. Go to a parts house like Autozone. They will run the codes for you for free. Write them down, and have them clear the codes while they are at it.

Old 10-01-09, 02:35 PM
Chandler no eng light on.

Hello Chandler,
There is no engine light on. So Autozone will not get any codes.
I have looked in the Haynes book on the Jeep without a hint, or lead as to where to test next.

Best Regards
Ted

Old 10-01-09, 05:29 PM
Is the hard starting when it's cold, hot, or both?

Old 10-01-09, 05:44 PM
How old is the battery, on my 01 dodge I was having a lot of starting issues and other electrical issues that I couldn't figure out, after a couple of months the battery finally gave out completely so I replaced it with a new one, the new one cured all my problems except the heater core leak

Old 10-01-09, 07:49 PM
Ted, not all codes will show up as a Check Engine Light situation. Obviously you have an engine related problem and it isn't showing up as CEL.

Old 10-02-09, 12:14 PM
What engine do you have? The 4.0L six-cylinder or the 4.7L V8? Can you describe the hard start? Does it just crank for a long time and then start or does it start and sputter?

- Joe

Old 10-04-09, 08:56 AM
Does this vehicle have a crank position sensor? Your Haynes manual will at least show you all that you have. They also have a page on electical that shows wiring diagram of the start circuit, and other wiring. I have the Haynes manual for my Dodge, and it is of great value to me, in tracing entire circuits, and what is all on that circuit.

Old 10-05-09, 04:13 PM
I was thinking along those lines as well. The cam trigger on the 4.0 is in a bad position - near the oil filter. A mis-placed filter wrench could damage the cam trigger. I've seen both broken cam triggers and oil pressure sending units on those because of impatient (or careless) quick lube technicians.

- Joe