door light warning switch broken??

Old 10-02-09, 07:51 AM
Question door light warning switch broken??

I'm trying to replace the door light warning switch that my teen broke when trying to close the passenger front side door on the seat belt!! I bought the replacement switch but cna't figure out if I have to take theentire door frame off to get teh old one out and put the new one in. Its a 1999 Subraru Forester and having the lights on inside all the time runs down the battery and I have to charge it up all the time. Is this an easy thing to try to do or should I go to a shop??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-09, 03:46 AM
Observe the body of the switch. Does it have a threaded body or does it have some sort of tensioner around it? If threaded, it has a hexagon face which allows it to be spun out using a wrench. The other sort would be pried and pulled out. In either case, take care to grasp the switch wiring before dropping back into the hole.

Old 10-04-09, 03:39 AM
have tried but!!

Have tried all that but it looks like there is a metal ground washer attached to the inside of the body holding the switch so it won't come out to be detached and replaced. The new switch also has this metal ground washer so I'm sure the original has it too. So how to get it undone?? Is there a way to safely turn off the red door open warning light from the dash side of things.??

Old 10-04-09, 05:40 AM
Havent seen a Subaru, but there is usually a piece of trim or a moulding on the inside of the car at the back of the door, this can be removed for access to the space where the switch is mounted. Maybe you can pull the fuse for the interior lights to turn them off until you get the switch fixed, if they dont turn off anything important when you pull the fuse.

Old 10-05-09, 05:28 AM
Thanks for suggestions

Still working on it, (raining lots tho) the switch is for the warngng that the door is open so its in the dash not for the overhead lights in the car. So if anyone knows where to turn that off it'd be great. Is there a fuse for it??, as I don't need it at all. But this little red light keeps running down the battery after 12 hours or so.

Old 10-15-09, 02:14 PM
Question subaru's door open warning light fixed but still on

I have replaced the door open warning light and all thigns have gone good with the moulding ect. not so hard after all, with some good suggestions thanks!! But the red dash warning light still won't go off and I have located the cargo door open warning light switch and I think its stuck and one or both sides. Any other good suggestions how to fix those once I put in a new used alternater and battery as the old one burnt out after all the runnning down. is there a reset on these cars??

Search this Thread