2003 grand caravan-speedo,tach below stop after near dead battery

Old 10-02-09, 02:13 PM
2003 grand caravan-speedo,tach below stop after near dead battery

apparently I have a weak battery. always attributed the occasional dead battery to the kids leaving a door open. but today I was sitting in it and had radio on for about 15min. went to start it and it wouldn't start. turned over a little then got some clicks. I shut everything off and tried again. finally it started. the gauges are electronic and go through full sweep when you turn ignition on. somehow during this episode they are now stuck BELOW the stops. they do not move at all. they did not slip over the stops-the stops are in place and stick out quite a bit. they had to go all the way around. I disconnected the battery for a few seconds thinking that would reset them, but it didn't. I am now leaving battery disconnected for a longer time period to see if that will do the trick. besides the obvious-I need new battery-anybody have any ideas how to get gauges working right?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 06:45 PM
With the ignition key off...press and hold the "Trip Reset" until the odometer displays "SoF".....Then release the button..
Due to mid year changes, you may also need to try turning the ignition on while holding the button in......Either way, release the button when SOF is displayed.
Over the next 60 seconds , the cluster will go thru a series of self tests...when the tests are done , you should be back to normal......

If that doesnt work, your alternative is to remove the cluster from the vehicle, and hold it upside down. Rotate it until the needles sweep back to their "REST" positions.

Old 10-04-09, 09:58 PM
thanks. fortunately i went to start my van on way to get new battery and the starter clicked but engine didn't turn over and gauges went back to normal. I then got vehicle started and had battery and charging system tested and ended up replacing the battery. gauges are fine. but will have to make note of this in case it happens again. what does "sof" stand for?

Old 10-05-09, 02:56 PM
It will display SOF and a number.......Software version....

Search this Thread