automotive paint/prep

Old 10-02-09, 02:57 PM
automotive paint/prep

Hey,

I'm fixing to have my cargo trailer painted. I've replaced some alum. skins and repaired some moulding and just about have it ready for a friend of mine to paint. There are some cracks and crevices on that body where the mouldings are applied that would look better once it's painted if they had been filled with caulk. The paint would have to be able to adhere to the caulk. Should I just use a good quality latex caulk?

I know 100% silocone is a much better product but I was'nt sure if the automotive paint would adhere to it (I know latex and oil based house paints will not adhere to it).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-09, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The aluminum will need a special primer. I am not sure red oxide will suffice. May have to check with a paint supplier to see. Paint won't stick to silicone. You may want to consider butyl rubber caulk in those areas. Will the seams be covered with trim? Reason I ask, mine are interlocking panels which have some sealant and are riveted together, then fastened to the internal struts.

Old 10-03-09, 06:41 AM
No, these are'nt the riveted seams. These are places that the factory had clear silocone in after all painting was done. Places like: moulding going around round corners where the moulding radius is not the exact radius of the surface it is rounding.
Like I said, the factory just put clear in the cracks after the fact; but, a caulk that could take paint (like latex) would look better and less conspicuous.

Old 10-03-09, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Latex caulk might be ok on the aluminum but definetly not with steel.. BUT... a butyl caulk will paint and look better over time. The latex may be too flexable for the automotive paint = cracks that will show later on Butyl caulk paints well with solvent based coatings.

Old 10-12-09, 02:58 PM
Did you consider using seam sealer from the auto body supply house? 3M has all sorts of seam sealers that will work for your application. A link for one of the products is below, but I would look at all their applications.

3M? All-Around Autobody Sealant, 08500, 1/10 gal cartridge, 12 per case

Old 10-13-09, 06:52 AM
Thanks for link. That's what I was looking for. I'll check that out.