Power steering problem on 1993 Grand Am

Old 10-03-09, 02:51 PM
Power steering problem on 1993 Grand Am

Vehicle: 1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.3L SOHC, auto,fwd, 48K miles.

The power steering is giving me trouble. Whenever I put too much force on the steering wheel it starts squeeling and is hard to turn. It started doing this almost 2 years ago just a little bit in the winter when the car was cold. Belt dressing took care of the majority of it back then. It has gotten worse over time. Even this summer when the car is cold it squeels and is hard to turn. The power steering fluid had a partial change 4 years ago by draining the resevior and refilling and repeating the process a couple weeks later. The belt seems to have good tension and is in fairly good shape. It is a 5-rib belt and the inside is quite tacky from the belt dressing. For the last 5 years(don't know if it did before that) it would always squeel if the wheel was turned too far either way but I don't know if it's related or if a lot of cars do that. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong. I think it is probably the pump or the rack, but I don't know how to diagnose it.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-09, 07:30 PM
you stated- it is a ribbed belt/aka serpintine belt.?
look at the tops of the pulleys-if the 'tops' of the groved pulleys are 'shinny'-the belt is worn out.
the belt is supposed to rub/pull on 'v' of the pulley-ribs-not the top of the rib.
change the belt-give it a try

Last edited by newtofta; 10-03-09 at 08:21 PM.