96 Mercury Sable White Smoke For Exhaust

Old 10-04-09, 10:13 AM
96 Mercury Sable White Smoke For Exhaust

I have a Mercury Sable Single Overhead Cam. Periodically (usually while turning) I get a rattling in the engine and white exhaust. If I let off the gas it goes away. The white exhaust happens at some other times, occasionally at starting and at lights. The white smoke started about 2 weeks ago, I got the oil changed and a viscosity additive. The rattling is new, started yesterday.

This happened several years ago too, I just can't remember what it is. I *think* back then I replaced the thingy that regulates what the cables from the spark plugs attach to fix the problem, but it's been a while.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The white could be coolant. The oil change/additive association could be coincidental as to what is going on. Maybe, maybe not.

You losing/having to add any coolant? Take a close look and monitor it when the engine is totally cold.

Is the oil height on your dipstick going down. Check when cold and at same location you park at, so car is always on the same level.

But with catalytic converters, I'm not sure of the changes that might occur to normally blue burning oil, if oil is the culprit. It also could be both oil and coolant combined.

The rattling sound could be from a hung up valve or messed up lash adjuster up under the valve cover, or could be something like "engine knock" (timing issue) going on. If any of those things occur, when the engine fires, or even when high vacuum builds when you let off the gas, it could cause different pressure to occur in the crankcase and maybe increase blowby. And if the PCV valve and tubing is not working right, this could cause oil vapors to get forced past rings or seals it normally otherwise might not.

A lot of conjecture on my part, but thought I'd give my 2.

Old 10-04-09, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. When the occasional white smoke started, I took the car in for an oil change and was told sometimes that happens with high milage vehicles - it just hit 194,000 - and he added the viscosity stuff that also had other sealants in it.It does seem to be the oil, it's a weel later and while I don;t need to add oil, it's down fromthe full it should be.

I'd forgotten about the coolant. Perhaps theres a leak there too. Geez, I hope not. There's definitely an oil smell.

Old 10-05-09, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So you were led to believe this is something normal?, with older engines? Not really - unless the engine has seen it's better days from something actually wrong that you can finger. Keep an eye on exactly where that oil level is at. And come back and see us.

And pay clsoe attention to if you get more white smoke at completely engine start up?, or if say you go for a highway6 cruise and put the car....while under load(going up hills is great for this test) by stomping on the gas pedal, and then suddenly letting off, to see if you notice clouds of smoke then. Have someone follow you if need be. The former could be valve seals - the latter rings. A head gasket going is a possibilty also.

Be sure to check the PCV system. And go into your air cleaner and make sure oil is not up in there.