help with a new car

Old 10-05-09, 01:41 PM
help with a new car

After 12.5 years with my Ford Taurus, I finally bought a new car, a Volvo C30 with automatic transmission, 2009 (one of the last 2009s left on the lot). After a couple days, I started to notice a very faint clicking in the morning. It happens a few seconds when the car is moving forward. Now it is happening any time I come back to the car (ie, I go to work and start it up at the end of the day, move forward and I hear it). At first I thought it might be stuff in the back that is moving around. So I tried removing everything (ie, jack) but it is still there. Sometimes I think it is coming from the back, sometimes from underneath the car. The sound is VERY VERY faint. Is this normal as the car breaks in? Am I over reacting? There is already a couple problems with the car (ie according to the manual the computer is supposed to be able to do certain things as part of the standard package but it seems the service people aren't even aware of it). I was excited to get this car at first but now I am wondering if there was a reason this one was one of the last left on the lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 05:25 PM
Sometimes hubcaps can make noises as the wheels turn,, But a Volvo won't have hubcaps,, Right?? Stones stuck in the tread of the tires?? Don't laugh,, found lots over the years!!! Torque on the wheel nuts??? As this is a new car & you said you have other issues it may be best to get a Volvo tech to take a quiet ride with you so he can hear what you hear... A road test is easier than trying to describe a noise that maybe you can make happen every time... Good Luck... Roger

Old 10-06-09, 01:15 PM
I agree that your dealer should of course be able to sort it all out for you. You have bought a good vehicle but like almost all European cars they are know to have more issues come up in the first 90 days than both the Japanese and many of the domestic vehicles, at least according to JD Power surveys. Once you get past any minor factory assembly issues that could come up, or early failures of components, vehicles like Volvos are almost bullit proof over the long haul, and it is not unusual to see them go hundreds of thousands of miles with good maintenance. While it is impossible to know exactly what the noise your hearing is coming from by your description, it could be something as simple as a nail in a tire for instance, or worse case an early failure of a CV joint or wheel bearing, but I would guess that is very unlikely. Depending on the model you purchased, the computer features could be an option that you do not have in your car, though these days on European cars most have a complete menu of display information. I hope your dealer is able to keep you as a satisfied customer.

Old 10-06-09, 07:13 PM
Question

my 'self' being a 'ford' guy-I-have been biting my tongue!
the tarus (u.s.-manufacture)-why noy an other 'ford'?

Old 10-06-09, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
For the price and the specs, the Volvo C30 beat both Taurus and Mustang (I considered them as well as a handful of other cars before buying). Besides I wanted something new.

FYI, I did find a C30 forum and other C30 owners experience the same noise as normal, the click is the abs doing a self-test. I would have gone to the dealer but sometimes I wonder if they would just tell me it's normal so they don't have to fix it (I'm just a skeptic). It's good to hear it from other C30 owners.

Old 10-07-09, 01:01 PM
Up until last year, Volvo was owned by Ford, and in fact shared some common parts with Ford's European models. BTW Ford will soon be importing or building many of their Euro models in the U.S. They have many including some crossovers that some people may decide to buy for the great mileage.

Old 10-07-09, 07:45 PM
equinox!!!! Is what you're saying is Ford may finally bring the Ranger Diesel to North America???? I've kept my 1990 Ranger going way too long just hoping the Diesel from overseas would land here... Please tell me it's so & I'll be @ Ford dealer with Cash in hand!!!!!! Roger

Old 10-08-09, 02:12 PM
Hey Hopkinsr2 Diesels are great

Hopkinsr2......I don't know about the Ford plan around diesels coming to the U.S. in either their cars or trucks. Several of the Ford Euro cars will be here soon, but I suspect many will have some of their faster gas engines to meet what their customers in the U.S. want in power and take off. Last year GM brought over their Opel Astra to Saturn which is a great car but forgot to tell anybody. I hope Ford will bring over their Euro pocket rocket Focus model. It can take on the small M series beamers. I am working 3 weeks a month in Europe and drive all the products from Ford and all the other makes also. Some of the Ford turbo diesels are pretty good, but a little noisy compared to the Audi, Mercedes, and even some of the Fiats, and French cars. Issues around diesels in America have always been about buyer attitude since GM screwed that up in the late 70's, and especially those that don't know how quiet, smooth, reliable, and good they all have become, the price per gallon difference between gas and diesel which often is even higher in the U.S., as well as the environment issues around changing fuels to low sulfur and what that costs. Some of the new diesels are so good it is hard to tell they are not gas unless you look under the hood. The European Ranger is a rebadged Mazda, and this truck is also sold in Asia where almost all sold are diesel. As an ex auto Detroit 3 exec guy I can tell you that all these kinds of product decisions are only based on the numbers. It was these short sighted bean counter decisions that almost killed them off. If Ford has production capacity for exporting the Euro Ranger Diesel, and they can see profit, and they can get them certified to meet our regulations, I am sure you will see them around soon. BTW, I have driven a brand new Fiat 500 in Italy which will soon be coming to the U.S. with Chrysler. It is a very tight, and high quality finished car surprising enough, and may sell in the big cities I suppose, but the one I had was a diesel 5 speed and it was a dog. I was wanting a gas motor that revved high enough to get the valves dancing on the hood. When you drive a go cart you want a go cart motor right. You gotta have something to enjoy when you are looking 15 feet up at the wheels of the semi beside you.

Old 10-08-09, 02:23 PM
Hey Hopkinsr2 Diesels are great

Hopkinsr2......I don't know about the Ford plan around diesels coming to the U.S. in either their cars or trucks. Several of the Ford Euro cars will be here soon, but I suspect many will have some of their faster gas engines to meet what their customers in the U.S. want in power and take off. Last year GM brought over their Opel Astra to Saturn which is a great car but forgot to tell anybody. I hope Ford will bring over their Euro pocket rocket Focus model. It can take on the small M series beamers. I am working 3 weeks a month in Europe and drive all the products from Ford and all the other makes also. Some of the Ford turbo diesels are pretty good, but a little noisy compared to the Audi, Mercedes, and even some of the Fiats, and French cars. Issues around diesels in America have always been about buyer attitude since GM screwed that up in the late 70's, and especially those that don't know how quiet, smooth, reliable, and good they all have become, the price per gallon difference between gas and diesel which often is even higher in the U.S., as well as the environment issues around changing fuels to low sulfur and what that costs. Some of the new diesels are so good it is hard to tell they are not gas unless you look under the hood. The European Ranger is a rebadged Mazda, and this truck is also sold in Asia where almost all sold are diesel. As an ex auto Detroit 3 exec guy I can tell you that all these kinds of product decisions are only based on the numbers. It was these short sighted bean counter decisions that almost killed them off. If Ford has production capacity for exporting the Euro Ranger Diesel, and they can see profit, and they can get them certified to meet our regulations, I am sure you will see them around soon. BTW, I have driven a brand new Fiat 500 in Italy which will soon be coming to the U.S. with Chrysler. It is a very tight, and high quality finished car surprising enough, and may sell in the big cities I suppose, but the one I had was a diesel 5 speed and it was a dog. I was wanting a gas motor that revved high enough to get the valves dancing on the hood. When you drive a go cart you want a go cart motor right. You gotta have something to enjoy when you are looking 15 feet up at the wheels of the semi beside you.

Old 10-08-09, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
not much of a ford fan are you. TAURUS.
Volvo is still a ford product ie they are using their chAsis on more and more cars.

new taurus and mks.

if you haven't driven a taurus lately i suggest testing one of the gen6 models. i bought a SHo for the wife.

Old 10-08-09, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by equinox View Post
a few months ago brian bohanen (sp.) had a ford executive on
and they were talking about the hybrid fords and the diesel question came up. problem she says is americans still have the mind set of smelling and smoking diesels', she also brought up the lack of cost savings to consumers. they are also bringing over the euro focus. ford is moving up and delivering what people want.