'84 Bronco transmission woes

Old 10-05-09, 08:50 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '84 Bronco transmission woes

Greetings fellow wielders of wrenches, hammers, and other tools of mass destruction!
First post, I'll get right to the point.
Neighbour has an 84 Bronco II, third auto-transmission has been put in, not sure but I think'd be a C5 (it is not an overdrive one), so 3(?) speed) by one of his inlaws.....let the joy begin

He limped it down here for helps, oh goody, I can work on lots of stuff but Ford trannys not. But what the heck.
Shifter needs adjustment. Literally outta whack enough just to find a gear to move forward in.
K, fiddle with it for an hour or two, something isn't right, read manual again, looking up under beast I see shiny spot on end of the rod that the linkage pivots on..hm, something is missing.
Got it to sortta shift and send him home. That night I have epiphany "Is there a left-over bracket of some sort of triangular shape layin' about?" I asks him. Sure enough, bell housing bracket that holds the other end of linkage rod is found. (*note to self* never use a Haynes manual for this sort of thing again, bloody useless, not even a pic of trans and where things are, gah!). The manual, not having a single bit on this piece, finds me underneath this morning trying to figure out where the hell it goes. Finally aha, lower starter bolt holds lower part, bolt into case holds other. whew! done, well at least that part.
Got linkage adjusted to usable place, off buddy goes.

Now the main problem.

The transmission is NOT shifting when in drive (liek into 2nd>3rd).
As usual, the Haynes manual gives no info on this.
After literally hours online trying to find an answer I have it narrowed down somewhat> My questions>
Pressure control modulator valve> Ok, where is it? suspect near rear of trans with vacuum hose coming out?
Or, does it even have one? I suspect it does.

Speed control sensor? Is there one? Where? what else should I be looking at/for? And more importantly (sort of) is where is it located?
this person is not a well being and I'd like to help, he doesn't have alot of bucks and needs this car for winter so I'm going to try and eliminate as much as possible and do what I can.
It is a 'used' trans (how used who knows ), but my gut tells me this is an easier problem than appears but I've been wrong before.

Any suggestions on what to check and look for from persons who have dealt with these units would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone responding to this tale of woe, I have tonnes of experience in many things and hope to be able to contribute to the site in the future in reciprocation (and 'cause I likes helping).

But fer now~ HELP!

Old 10-06-09, 08:17 AM
N
are you sure this a 3 speed-not an over drive?
c5-3 speed - modulator valve - faces rear ward-on the passenger side rear of the trans
a4ld-4 speed-valve is on the passenger side of the trans.
are you saying-it shifts 1-2,but not 2-3?
i am probably not going to be much help-but i will talk with you.

Old 10-06-09, 09:35 AM
R
Yes I'm sure its 3 speed, 1-2-D-N-R-P, the detents and linkage all lined up etc., it still needs tweeking as he told me last night the shifter doesn't quite engage 1st, but drive is obviously drive as it is next thing down from neutral.

It is not shifting out of first, when engaged in drive. I'm going to have a look-see at valve first chance I get now that I know where to look!

Thank you for reply!

Old 10-06-09, 12:02 PM
N
you have a c3 trans, it is basicly the a4ld before they made it a 4 speed
i also found out,you can go to autozone.com-regester your vehicle & some other info. they have an on line repair manual.
might be of some hepl.

Old 11-02-09, 02:03 PM
R
C5, we're pretty sure.

Thread update>

Well thanks for the input so far gentlemen

Still haven't figured everything out but here is what's going on/has been figured.

1. adjusting the linkage. Let me put it this way, need to do again, but not the problem at hand.

2. still not shifting *sad*
Vacuum line was pulled off modulator valve, spewed tranny fluid AHA!
Sooo, modulator valve was replaced (not by me) with a new one.
Still no shifting (staying in 1st), have just sent bud down the road to see if it will manually shift into second gear, will know in a sec. Okay he's back, YES the pig shifted into second, so now I know second exists! woo-hoo

There is vacuum at the carb body, but there was a cruise control line attached (disconnected not working cruise control btw with tranny fluid in the canister, ugh!), I disconnected the hose and snipped a short piece off and plugged tightly with a screw, used the piece to block it at the tee.

Since it does have second, now its back to the shifting issue.
Next to check I think is the filter, as it was suggested to put a new pan gasket in I am guessing it'd be the time to check out the guts a bit eh?

Its really a thing of frustration this is

Cheers from the sunny PNW and Y'all have a great day!

will keep thread updated for others benefit

Last edited by Ratherfish; 11-02-09 at 02:10 PM. Reason: its a C5
Old 11-02-09, 03:18 PM
C
A good mechanic never has parts left over after a job.

Tell him to take it to a transmission shop and have it repaired.

If it was a older style GM I would say the TV cable was out of adjustment.

Yes I said TV Cable. TV stands for Throttle Vector all the old TH 350's and 400's had them along with some of the 700R4's and 200R4's. Old timers called them a kick down cable.

Old 11-02-09, 07:51 PM
N
Originally Posted by Ratherfish
Thread update>

Well thanks for the input so far gentlemen

Still haven't figured everything out but here is what's going on/has been figured.

1. adjusting the linkage. Let me put it this way, need to do again, but not the problem at hand.

2. still not shifting *sad*
Vacuum line was pulled off modulator valve, spewed tranny fluid AHA!
Sooo, modulator valve was replaced (not by me) with a new one.
Still no shifting (staying in 1st), have just sent bud down the road to see if it will manually shift into second gear, will know in a sec. Okay he's back, YES the pig shifted into second, so now I know second exists! woo-hoo

There is vacuum at the carb body, but there was a cruise control line attached (disconnected not working cruise control btw with tranny fluid in the canister, ugh!), I disconnected the hose and snipped a short piece off and plugged tightly with a screw, used the piece to block it at the tee.

Since it does have second, now its back to the shifting issue.
Next to check I think is the filter, as it was suggested to put a new pan gasket in I am guessing it'd be the time to check out the guts a bit eh?

Its really a thing of frustration this is

Cheers from the sunny PNW and Y'all have a great day!

will keep thread updated for others benefit
with the eng running,-pull the vac, hose off the mod.valve- should be a very significant amount of vacuum ,at the hose end,should 'grab' your finger -when toutched.

post your findings!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: