Mustang Exhaust Conversion

Old 10-06-09, 04:25 PM
Mustang Exhaust Conversion

67 Mustang 289 V8 coupe
Converting the factory single exhaust to duals.
Not sure how to mount the hangers at the intermediate pipe and muffler joint.

It has these 2 plates with 2 bolts protruding out each one that the hangers mount to.

How do I mount these plates to the floor pan?
Do I drill 2 holes through the floor pans and feed them from the inside or screw them to the bottom of the floor pan from the outside?

If I have to drill holes for these plates, is there a template for positioning the holes through the floor pans?
I have a general idea but I want to get this right the first time.
It has new floors......

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-09, 07:29 PM
probably -best left-to a muffler shop.
is this thing any where rear "original" condition??
'If' so 'I' would 'not' start modifying it.

Old 10-07-09, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
probably -best left-to a muffler shop.
is this thing any where rear "original" condition??
'If' so 'I' would 'not' start modifying it.
Thanks for your sage advice but last time I checked this was the DO IT YOURSELF forum.

Old 10-07-09, 07:28 PM
'YES' this a diy forum.
but 'some' things are not actualy 'do able' on the diy level.
did 'not' mead to get 'cross' with you!!
in 'my' opinion,exhaust piping -is alot easier & usualy a better fit.-if done by an 'interested' muffler shop.
yes, there are some 'kits' offered -online!
but you may run into a particulatr-situation,where the 'kit' does not fit 'just'right!
YOU probaly dont have the equiptment to make a -minor bend in exhaust tubing.
that is 'my 2-cents' worth.
dont get mad at me, i am willing to 'talk' about your project!!

Old 10-08-09, 05:20 AM
Although I do most of the work to my Camaro myself I do leave the exhaust to my muffler shop guy. Not only do you get a superior job at a perfomance muffler shop it's a pain in the rear to do exhaust and get it where you want it.

If you're going duals I would go no smaller than 2.5" aluminized pipes with a crossover tube and if you want a good sound I use Flowmasters but any good muffler like Magnaflow, Borla or simular will give you great sound and performance. If you haven't bought headers yet don't cheap out. Get good quality headers like Hedman. Hooker, Dougs that are coated and you may never have to replace them.

Old 10-12-09, 01:56 PM
Hey Mackey, I agree, get some good DIY advice, measure twice and drill once is the way to go, especially so if you just went to the trouble to cut in new floors.

A few questions for you. Are you hooking the exhaust to headers or the manifolds? Did you buy an exhaust kit like Pypes, or do you have assorted parts for the car? If the exhaust is a kit, you may want to visit their website and see if there is any information for you there. You can also visit websites from other kits to see how they adapt to your model car.

You can visit Pypes at Pypes Performance Exhaust - Home Page. They have an application for your car, instructions online, and a tech forum that is geared to your needs. They advertise that they are designed for the at home, shade tree mechanic.

With all that being said, most kits have the hangers off the back of the mufflers rather then the front at the intermediate pipe and the hangers strap to the floor board where it goes up to clear the rear axle. GM cars have a plate there for the seat belts and that is always a good place to drill. I use self tapping 5/16 bolts so there is no need to pull the carpet or seats for the install. There should be a second hanger on the tail pipe most of the way back that you hanger off of the rear rail. Most kits come with a tab on the tail pipe and the hangers are universal to bolt (again with self tapping bolts) to the rail.

I like to weld the collectors, crossovers and the tail pipes (if in two sections), but leave clamps many times on the mufflers for an easy change out just in case the sound is not what I want. I mock the system up in place and either clamp or tack weld it, then pull it down for the final welds. I have been using stainless steel pipes of 2 1/2" for street applications, and an X pipe for the cross over. A mig welder will weld the stainless without a problem.

I am a Pontiac guy, so giving advice on a Ford is considered a felony in most States, but hopefully this helps you some!