Are Iridium plugs worth the money???

Old 10-07-09, 05:59 AM
Are Iridium plugs worth the money???

Does anyone have much experience with these types of plugs?

My 07 Kia came with them (I think) and the car has about 50k and I am thinking about a plug change. Wondering if the extra expense is worth it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-09, 06:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never heard of them. Platinum, yes. I'll be. Another something to wonder about, - if there is anything really to these things, or if it is another snake-oil. Hate to think though that one of the world's premier companies would be hawking a bogus product. Could be a some good reading.

iridium spark plugs - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 10-07-09, 05:38 PM
Why would you be "thinking" of a plug change at only 50K. Nowadays plugs go for much further. Is the car running roughly, or what? Iridium is used as a hardening agent for platinum and is the most corrosive metal known. So why they flaunt the properties of iridium in spark plugs is beyond me.

Old 10-07-09, 06:00 PM
I only install those expensive "long-life" plugs on engines with hard to access plugs - like transverse V6 and V8 engines where the back bank of cylinders are nearly inaccessible without removing components. Everything else gets regular old $1.50 Champion plugs. Never had any problems with that approach.

- Joe

Old 10-08-09, 03:31 PM
Aaah, 1965 Chevy Nova with a V8. What dork designed that one? Every one I did a tune up on had 7 aftermarket or Autolite plugs, and the #8 had the original Delco plug.

Old 10-08-09, 03:45 PM
Probably whoever tried changing the plugs did not have one of those swivel adapters for their socket set.

Old 10-08-09, 05:37 PM
Oh no, you had to disconnect the motor mounts and lift the engine 6" to gain access to #8.

Old 10-08-09, 05:49 PM
on the ford taurus the joke is you get the 3 front ones done for free it's the back three you pay for.

Old 10-08-09, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Oh no, you had to disconnect the motor mounts and lift the engine 6" to gain access to #8.
25+ years ago we had a chrysler - tune up tech- 'nick named-7 plug bert'

Old 10-09-09, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by risoworker View Post
on the ford taurus the joke is you get the 3 front ones done for free it's the back three you pay for.
Which one?
My wife has an 03 merc sable with a 3.0 [same car] and I just tuned it up. Except for the fact I had to do it by feel, the back plugs were easier than the front. Just a short extension and socket [did have to remove the air horn] had to use different lenght extensions and a universal on the front side.

Old 10-09-09, 05:57 AM
Iridium plugs are generally used on forced induction vehicles. They exhibit similar properties of platinum in hardness(actually are harder) but are a slightly better conductor. Still not a good a conductor of copper. I would think platimiums would work as well or if the plugs are easy to get to copper plugs. As said earlier the Platinum/Iridium plugs on N/A cars are what allow them the extended plug change intervals.

Iridium Spark Plugs

Frequently Asked Questions: DENSO Iridium

Old 10-09-09, 06:50 AM
I'd recommend going back with the same plugs the manufacturer recommends, especially if you want to maintain the same service schedule as was specified for the original plugs. Today's sparkplugs are designed for 100,000 plus life, so changing at 50,000 seems very premature.

Since 90% of the cost of having plugs changed is the labor, I don't cheap out on the plugs at all. My car is extremely hard to change the plugs even for a trained factory mechanic, so I want to go back with the longest-lived plug I can buy.