check engine light

Old 10-07-09, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
check engine light

The check engine light came on my wife's 03 merc sable 3.0 Took it to autozone and it read 'low bank 2' which they said signifies a defective catalytic convertor, engine misfire, large vacumn leak or oil consumption.

Her car has 120k mileage, minimal oil useage [1/2 qt or less between changes] and over all runs great. I did replace the plugs and wires about a 100 miles before the light came on. Autozone turned off the engine light and so far it hasn't come back on [only been 10-12 miles] I can't find any sign of a vacumn leak.

I guess my question is; could the spark plug change confuse the computer enough to turn the light on? I set the new plugs at .045 [specs 042-046] The old plugs were all clean although the gap was all over the place, .060-.083

or am I missing something? this is the 1st time I've tune up a newer car with the hi miliage plugs.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-09, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would have guessed that "low bank 2" would have meant something wrong in the second head closest to the firewall/bulkhead, if V-6.

Let us know if light comes back on, or if gas mileage drops off, oil consumption gets worse, coolant starts disappearing, or rough running or sluggish performance.

Aren't you glad you got a reply? Some other member here who has been very helpful and professionally knowledgable in helping others, got a little miffed that when he needed help with something, nobody responded at all, yet there were lots of views, he said, including mods online at the time.

Old 10-07-09, 07:33 PM
'if' lite comes back on- post code.
does the eng stumble on moderate acceleration?
thet are 'known' for coil pack failure

Old 10-08-09, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
The check engine light came on my wife's 03 merc sable 3.0 Took it to autozone and it read 'low bank 2' which they said signifies a defective catalytic convertor, engine misfire, large vacumn leak or oil consumption.

Her car has 120k mileage, minimal oil useage [1/2 qt or less between changes] and over all runs great. I did replace the plugs and wires about a 100 miles before the light came on. Autozone turned off the engine light and so far it hasn't come back on [only been 10-12 miles] I can't find any sign of a vacumn leak.

I guess my question is; could the spark plug change confuse the computer enough to turn the light on? I set the new plugs at .045 [specs 042-046] The old plugs were all clean although the gap was all over the place, .060-.083

or am I missing something? this is the 1st time I've tune up a newer car with the hi miliage plugs.
the car is very picky about it's plugs.

Old 10-08-09, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So am I right in assuming the tune up triggered the light?

btw - it still hasn't come back on, maybe 75 miles later

Old 10-08-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you do anything like disconnect a battery cable prior to doing the work?

I really do not have clue, actually. I guess I'd be glad if it just stays out. Then for your hobby at night, while laying in bed, rather than count sheep, ponder this issue.

Then there are always coincidences also, where people try to make an association between something and another.

Old 10-08-09, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
So am I right in assuming the tune up triggered the light?

btw - it still hasn't come back on, maybe 75 miles later
i will tell you it will take a few weeks to trigger the code again if it is the cat.
if it's the cat .... ouch

try swapping 02 sensor from front of cat to back to see if it triggers the same code. if the code changes then it's the 02 sensor.