Fuel question

Old 10-10-09, 03:06 PM
Fuel question

Got a used car, Benz 320. So question is can I use low grade gas or fuel or I have to use the high grade, expensive fuel.
I am planning to keep it for long time. Also do I have to obey all the rules of service, or just oil change will do it.
Need honest and less expensive advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
What does the manufacturer say? Sometimes lower octane just lowers power..other times it can cause a check engine light I've heard..

By the way...maybe a year and model (C,D,E, etc) would help?

Old 10-10-09, 03:32 PM
Got a used car, Benz 230 yr 2007 mileage 8000. So question is can I use low grade gas or fuel or I have to use the high grade, expensive fuel.
I am planning to keep it for long time. Also do I have to obey all the rules of service, or just oil change will do it.
Need honest and less expensive advice.
Edit/Delete Message

Old 10-10-09, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Uhh..you bought a premium vehicle..did you expect maintenance
to be cheap? What does the user manual say?

Follow the manufacturers recommendations for your driving style...it doesn't always have to be at a dealer most times. Keep your receipts for any service.

Or just do whatever you want and if warranty doesn't cover any problems..you can just live with it.

Old 10-10-09, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I couldn't find the correct gas but usually there is a decal inside of the gas door with that info. As to service, follow your owner's manual. The dealer probably has his own set of requirements which are designed to help his boat payments.

Old 10-11-09, 12:57 AM
In my experience many European cars require that you use fuel that has 95 Octane levels. The lowest grades that I have seen in Europe are usually around 92, with some going over 95. It is best to follow what the manufacturer says with these premium vehicles, but more than likely they will say 95. Running a lower level of octane below what is stated verses recommended will cause problems not only in power. Driveability is ususally impacted, but I don't know if any other issues will become evident regarding emissions or possible engine damage. Actual manufacturer maintenance schedules are usually not unreasonable and are designed to keep the vehicle in top running condition. Dealers in the U.S. often become creative with these just as quick lube places like to upsell using severe service level standards in their recommendations for one thing. Try challenging these guys on the GM Oil Life Management system verses the 3000 mile change for one thing. Most people in Europe who drive premium cars follow the OEM maintenance schedules because unlike in the U.S., documented car maintenance history is completely tied into the resale value on the used market.

Old 10-11-09, 03:42 PM
Likely only problem would be decrease in gas mileage (if >87 octane is needed and regular is used). Good review of issue:
BMW explains using lower Octane gasoline - The 1 Series (E81) Message Board

Old 10-11-09, 08:37 PM
in my opinion-
1/st-do you have an 'owners' manual-'it wil tell you what grade fuel to use.
was the vehicle 'originaly'-shipped- to the 'U.S.?'!-if so-
it will 'not' require higher that '93' octane( the highest-available)
if the 'owners manua' requires -'89'-or better,do'not' run 87

Old 10-12-09, 03:48 PM
You can use any brand gas you want, if that's what you mean, but you should use gas that has an octane rating of at least what the manufacturer recommends.

Will it hurt the car if you don't? Probably not. Modern cars can detect detonation and retard the timing to compensate. You will experience a drop in performance if that happens.

Remember, what you see on the pump sticker is the lowest octane rating the gas has, it does not mean it can't be, although it's unlikely, a little higher.

Old 10-16-09, 01:56 PM
Crazy idea, read the directions....
i.e. owners manual will tell you what fuel to run if it doesn't say right on the fuel cap. Running lower will lower performance as mentioned, and also run a higher risk of causing damage.

Search this Thread