tranny fluid leak? where from?

Old 10-11-09, 06:40 AM
tranny fluid leak? where from?

I have a 92 Lumina Van with a 6 cyl engine. It sprung a tranny fluid leak. It's leaking underneat the radiator area. there is a plastic or metal piece extending down dead center of the motor. there are 3 hose lines directly behind it. looks like it's leaking from there but not sure if it is leaking down from one of the hose connections. Friend at work said it could be front tranny seal? is it that far forward? I'm putting it up on drive on ramps today to see if I can get under and find the leak. just to help for location purposes, where would the front tranny seal be on tihs motor?
are there any pics or diagrams I can look at it online?

thanks for any help
jimco

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-09, 07:21 AM
When I moved the van to get ready to drive it onto the ramps I saw a leak trail. Crawled under as best I could and saw a hose clamp dangling around on one of the metal hoses. ran my finger along it and found an open end.

Jimco

Old 10-11-09, 07:46 AM
The front transmission seal is located behind the torque converter.

The torque converter is bolted to a flywheel on the back of the motor. I believe that with the 3.1 - which is probably the motor in your van, the front of the motor is on the passenger side.

The point of where the transmission bolts up to the engine block is where the torque converter is located and sometimes has a plastic shield underneath the torque converter - so a mechanic can disconnect the torque converter from the flywheel when a engine or transmission swap is necessary.

Usually with a vehicle that old, the transmission lines rusts out and you develop a leak.

Some older vehicles, the transmission line screws directly into a cooler that is inside of one of the tanks of the radiator.

Some newer vehicles, the transmission line is only held in by a small clip and there is no nut to remove to get the new line off.

I also believe that the Lumina APV = All Plastic Vehicle shares all mechanical parts with the Lumina vehicle of the same year.

So the engine and transmission are identical.

Might I suggest that you buy yourself a good Chiltons manual at the local auto parts store.

With the age of your vehicle, you are going to need it.