1990 Honda Accord A/C Problem

Old 10-15-09, 05:53 PM
1990 Honda Accord A/C Problem

1990 Honda Accord 4Dr LX AT, 199K miles. Blows only not so cold air for about 5 to 20 minutes, then blows room temperature/hot air. This happens in the morning or evening. Most of time, it blows room temperature/hot air during hot days. Anyone has any idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-09, 09:26 PM
Have you had the system leak checked??? I'm guessing it's low on refrigerant, & if so,, It leaked out somewhere...Find the leak & fix & recharge & you should be O.K..... Roger

Old 10-16-09, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your replied! If it leaks, wouldn't it constantly blow hot air? My car still blows a little bit cold air every morning for about at least 20 minutes. During a summer day, most of time it blows hot air. Occassionally, it blows 5 to 10 minutes little cold air, then blows hot air. Once it blows hot air, it stay hot air and never change back to cold air until next morning.

Old 10-16-09, 01:18 PM
honda ac

yes, it wont blow cold at all with no freon
i would be checking the fan operation
if it runs and compressor runs,the condenser fan has to come on to cool down the head pressure.if the pressure doesnt stay down ie. fan not running it will trip a high pressure cut out switch. and shut down system.when pressures return to normal will work again,but only til pressure switch gets tripped again
open hood and stand in front with engine running
have someone turn ac on while your standing in front
watch to see if compressor and fan comeon simoteaneously
let me know

Old 10-16-09, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by r.burgy View Post
standing in front
watch to see if compressor and fan comeon simoteaneously
let me know
How do I know whether compressor is on or not? The compressor is drived by alternator belt and is running as soon as engine running.

Old 10-16-09, 07:34 PM
the idler pully on compressor runs all the time when the compressor actually engages the outside will kick in and start spinning with the pully

Old 10-19-09, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by r.burgy View Post
the idler pully on compressor runs all the time when the compressor actually engages the outside will kick in and start spinning with the pully
I just checked and both fans and compressor pully runs after I turn on air condition and it blows cold air. They stop as soon as I turn it off. What should I check next?

Old 10-19-09, 05:27 PM
It doesen't blow hot air anymore??? If it blows cold, I wouldn't check anything, as what you describe is normal operation... Roger

Old 10-19-09, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
It doesen't blow hot air anymore??? If it blows cold, I wouldn't check anything, as what you describe is normal operation... Roger
As I described earlier, it blows cold air for 5-20 minutes (sometimes longer), then blows hot air. Since the weather here in CA isn't as hot as summer, I haven't let it run for that long. However, I am sure it will blow hot air during hot days as it was in the past a couple years.

Old 10-20-09, 09:08 AM
You should have a gage set hooked to the lines... The pressures will tell you if the charge is O.K,, if the expansion valve is working etc... Get the pressures & let us know... Roger