Windshield Wipers

Old 10-16-09, 10:59 AM
Windshield Wipers

Hello,
My wipers are rubbing across my windshield. Even when I install new refills, it does not improve much. So that I get the terminology right; wipers have three components right?
1. the refill
2. the blade
3. the arm
Is this correct? And would replacing the blade correct the situation or do I need to change the arm too?

When cleaning my windshield, I tried using Bon Ami cleanser, alcohal, Windex etc but neither of these stops the wipers from rubbing.
The arms and blades are original equipment. Could either or both be worn out?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-09, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
How old and how many miles on the car? When you say rubbing..do you mean skipping or chattering?

Yes, the arms can lose their tension over time, or if these have the spring down near the connection to the linkage, that can also get weak...though that would take quite a while.

I normally replace the "blade" (not sure if thats the right term, but I know what you mean. The segmented piece that the refill fits into?) about every 2 years or so..and the rubber refill prob twice a year. I don't drive as much as I used to, but the heat and grit out here eats the rubber up pretty badly.

I don't think I've ever replaced an arm unless it was damaged by vandalism or accident.

Old 10-16-09, 12:51 PM
Thanks,
I just saw a video where the mechanic recommends changing blades every 6 months. Seems a bit extreme unless one is on the road a lot. I'll pick up a new set and that should do it

Old 10-16-09, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Might try a window treatment too like Rain-X; they're even making a combination window cleaner/rain repeller that seems to work quite well.

Old 10-16-09, 04:39 PM
What works well for me is replacing the wiperblade assembly. You just pop-em on......2 minute job.

Every 6 months is ideal but I do it once a year and TowGuy is right......try RainX, it'll stop the rubbing or skipping across the glass.

The old days it made more sense to replace just the wiperblade refil when things were made in the USA and things were made right.

No need to replace the arm.

Old 10-17-09, 03:23 AM
A new set of blades solved the problem.

Tow-Guy, take a look at the main ingrediant in Rain-X. You can buy it at Home depot or Lowe's. I believe I have a pint of it stored in my garage. Can't remember the ingrediant.

Old 10-17-09, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
The ingredients you see on RainX aren't what accomplish the beading action. All that stuff listed is just the solvent/carrier for what makes water bead. Kinda like water being a major part of latex paint but it doesn't really do much except evaporate.

Old 10-19-09, 01:48 PM
I justed checked my Rain-x ingrediant and all it says; contains denatured alcohol. I applied the denatured alcohol after cleaning the windows and when it rained, it performed the same as Rain-x. Rain-x is a good product but why pay for the main ingrediant at parts store prices when you can buy it cheaper at the Home Centers.