Hard to shift into gears

Old 10-19-09, 08:38 PM
Hard to shift into gears

Hello,

I just replaced a clutch plate on a 89 mazda b2200. I got everything put together and went for a drive, but now it's hard to shift into gears, almost got to force it in 1st and 2nd gears, and when I try to put into reverse it grinds really bad, but it does go in gear. and yes I have fluids in there. please help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-09, 09:08 PM
nap
sounds like your clutch is not releasing totally. If you sit in 1st gear, flat ground, clutch pushed in, brakes off and rev the engine, does it try to move? If so, your clutch is really poorly adjusted.

Not sure if you have mechanical linkage or hydraulic. I'll have to do some research for more info.

another thought is you have the trans or bell housing not tightened up squarely against the unit in front of it. That could be a lot of strain on the input shaft and cause some odd problems as well.

did you have the flywheel ground? Did you torque the clutch plate? did you torque the flywheel bolts (if you took the flywheel off to be ground)?

Old 10-20-09, 04:36 AM
Did you check the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? This holds the very tip of the trans shaft steady when you push the clutch in. I just went through the same thing on a Ranger truck for a buddy of mine. He put in clutch disc and pressure plate, was told by the parts store it did not have a pilot bearing, NOT TRUE. Had the same result and troubles that you are having. Bad news is, only fix is to remove trans and replace pilot bearing.

Old 10-20-09, 09:31 AM
clutch wont release

Another thing from the very rare but it happens file. If the trans was installed part way then allowed to hang it can bend the clutch plate causing it to wobble and not have clearence to release. I also had a new one that was bent and acted the same way. Try the other things first tho.

Old 10-20-09, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by wire twister View Post
Did you check the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft? This holds the very tip of the trans shaft steady when you push the clutch in. I just went through the same thing on a Ranger truck for a buddy of mine. He put in clutch disc and pressure plate, was told by the parts store it did not have a pilot bearing, NOT TRUE. Had the same result and troubles that you are having. Bad news is, only fix is to remove trans and replace pilot bearing.
I changed the pilot bearing. thanx for reply.

Old 10-20-09, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
sounds like your clutch is not releasing totally. If you sit in 1st gear, flat ground, clutch pushed in, brakes off and rev the engine, does it try to move? If so, your clutch is really poorly adjusted.

Not sure if you have mechanical linkage or hydraulic. I'll have to do some research for more info.

another thought is you have the trans or bell housing not tightened up squarely against the unit in front of it. That could be a lot of strain on the input shaft and cause some odd problems as well.

did you have the flywheel ground? Did you torque the clutch plate? did you torque the flywheel bolts (if you took the flywheel off to be ground)?
it's hyd I think i don't see any springs or wires going to it. only inside the cylinder. I changed the pilot bearing but I didn't take the fly wheel off. well I couldn't. I torked the plate bolts to 28lb. I'm gonna start with re bleeding the clutch and hope fully thats the prob. thanx for reply.