Replacing Wheel Studs

Old 10-20-09, 11:45 AM
Replacing Wheel Studs

We have a 97 Accord and we have just added spacers to the wheels (long story). So now we need to add longer wheel studs. I've gotten the old, shorter wheel studs out, but now how to get the longer ones in? Can I beat it in with a mallet til the threads make their appearance?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-09, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Beat them in with a mallet, then put a lug nut on and tighten it down to draw the stud in fully.

Old 10-20-09, 03:31 PM
Longer wheel studs will not go straight in so beating them in just mangles the threads. . . I'm thinking I need to get the hub off, but have heard that it's a shop job.

Old 10-20-09, 04:19 PM
nap
before you take the hub off, look for 1 place in the area behind the hub that would allow you to install the stud. Often times, you have only one or 2 spots that allow such depth as to install studs and you rotate the hole in the hub you are installing the stud in to that spot.

You might be able to remove a dust shield to allow more room behind the hub as well in a spot or two as well.

Oh, and not to beat on hotinOKC but I would never hammer a stud into place. Too much chance of bending the hub or even damaging a bearing or bearing race. A stud should only be pressed in using a press and support of the hub but in real life, the old washer and backwards lug nut is generally acceptable.

Old 10-21-09, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some backing plates have a knock out you have to break out of plate to get studs in. Look for a u shaped cut in backing plate.