'05 Chev Equinox oil dripping at A/C compressor

Old 10-21-09, 05:45 AM
'05 Chev Equinox oil dripping at A/C compressor

I noticed oil drip marks on my garage floor. 65,000 on the vehicle. I looked under and saw oil residue near the oil filter which is beside the A/C compressor, but saw it was dripping from the compressor bottom, and not the filter that I first suspected. It is a clear colored oil, and fairly light in consistency. I read somewhere that they use oil along with Freon in these compressor units. Am I looking at needing a complete new compressor or is this something that can be serviced with new seals and an oil top up for example. I suspect if I am losing oil I must also be losing refridgerant. Is this also true? Have not run the A/C for a while now that the weather is cooler. Anybody seen this problem before on Chevy, or other GM?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-09, 07:32 AM
Most Denso compressors are not repairable.

The re manufacturer has a tool to remove the clutch and rebuild the compressor.

I would take it to a shop that can check for leaks. It might be something as simple as a bad O ring. You could have a cracked refrigerant line.

They can put a dye inside the system and check for leaks.

Automotive refrigerant systems has not used FREON in their systems since the early 90's. The proper term is R 134A

Old 10-21-09, 02:13 PM
Thank you Claw Hammer. I did know about the change in refridgerant due to Ozone damage but used the old name when writing the post out of old habits I guess. I will take it in and have it checked for leaks at or near the point where the lines connect into the compressor. The unit worked all summer in Texas heat, and this is the first I knew about oil lubrication in addition to as you said the R134A. I hope that it is something simple to sort out. Somehow a tube seal and refill sounds alot cheaper than the R&R cost of replacing a $400.00 compressor.

Search this Thread