Altima dies on highway

Old 10-21-09, 07:16 AM
Altima dies on highway

2005 Nissan Altima suddenly will die at highway speed. Engine just stops, cranks very fast but doesn't fire. after 30 second rest, and pumping gas pedal it will start. Happened twice within 2 minutes yesterday. doesn't happen often, runs fine rest of the time. First indication of trouble was a month ago on highway, sudden loss at speed momentarily and then OK.
Fuel pump? Computer? any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-09, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You shouldn't have to pump the pedal on a fuel injected car, as it doesn't do any good. I would drive into a place like Auto Zone and have the codes read and report back to us what the codes say is wrong. We may can help further once the codes are known.

Old 10-21-09, 05:55 PM
ok, I've got a code reader, will try. The engine light reset after a few starts, hasn't done it again. Back asap, thanks much.

Old 10-21-09, 06:30 PM
The codes are stored, so you don't have to wait for the CEL light to be on. I'm glad someone else has a scanner. I use mine on my wife's car and even on my Cummins. Keeps things in order, and I don't have to drive to Auto Zone.

Old 10-22-09, 04:38 PM
Have you tried to listen to the whirr sound of the fuel pump when you turn the key to ON?, like right away again after it shuts off?

I do that now everytime before I actually start it now, ever since my old fuel pump kept cutting out on me...then restarting after it sat a while.

This all ended after it got changed out. But now I still keep up with that regimine, just in case, so that if by chance that I hear no whirr, and the car does not start, I will not have to second guess as to if it is fuel system or spark related.

Old 10-22-09, 11:06 PM
Have you tried changing the fuel filter?

Get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel rail to fuel pump test check out at the :30 point of the video