91 olds cutlass stalled twice

Old 10-21-09, 01:34 PM
91 olds cutlass stalled twice

91 olds cutlass cirea. today it stalled twice. first time it stalled it would not re-fire. after letting it sit for awhile it started. a short time later it stalled again but this time it started right back up and no other problems today. any ideas. my dad thinks it might be the fuel filter. if that is the cause where is it located and how hard to replace. how do i replace it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-09, 02:29 PM
I think the fuel filter on that model is under left rear of car close to rear axle. If the filter hasn't been changed in 30,000 mi. it is a good idea to change it. Be sure to de-pressurize the fuel system before changing filter. Without more info it is hard to guess what actually may be wrong.

Old 10-22-09, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Could be fuel pump, too; it's old enough to have worn one out. I agree good idea to try filter first; it's a LOT cheaper.

Old 10-22-09, 11:13 PM
well it stalled again yesterday while going through a parking lot. it seams to do it when you take your foot off the gas so im guessing there a problem with the idle. it seams to idle strange at a traffic light like its going to stall again. it started right up this time though. it almost did it again at a stop sign cause when i went to accelerate from the stop the car jumped for a second so i guess if its above 30MPH i should be fine so there's a idle problem so question is what.

Old 11-03-09, 07:18 PM
well it was a sensor. forgot which one but it was in the manifold. it kept reading that the outside temp was -3 which is why the car kept stalling. the shop also replaced a heater hose which was rusty $205 for the repair.