Difference between 5-20 and 5-30 oil

Old 10-22-09, 08:24 AM
Difference between 5-20 and 5-30 oil

MY new CRV says to use 5-20 oil.Does it make any difference if I use 5-30 oil.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 11:17 AM
Oil is rated by viscosity.

Viscosity is nothing more than a elaborate term which explains how a fluid will pour compared to water at a certain temperature.

The first number in the number which explains how it will pour when it is cold.

The second number explains how it will lubricate when it is hot.

Lower viscosity number motor oils usually reflects some type of synthetic oil being used in the engine.

Synthetic oils are not dinosaur oils which are pumped out of the ground and refined into the motor oil you pour into your car, but something synthetic - synthesized from some superior chemical and all the molecules inside of the oil are all the same size.

During WW II, the Germans did not have access to regular crude oil and so they had to make their own oils - synthetically. On paper their oil was superior to ours, but because they did not have the zinc and additives necessary to make the oil work, it worked poorly in their attack aircraft.

This all boiled down to racing technology of the 80's and 90's and into passenger cars of today.

In theory the synthetic motor oils are cleaner and lubricate better then the older style crude oil which has molecules of all sizes and requires looser tolerances to ensure that a lack of lubrication does not cause a bearing failure.

Because of the tighter tolerances and because the engine can be built to perform better, the synthetic oils are lighter and can lubricate better then the heavier oils which causes more windage inside of the engine. Windage is the oil whipping around all over the place and making the parts spin slower - just like trying to run in a swimming pool.

The heavier the oil, the harder it is for the crankshaft to spin inside of the crankcase and the more gasoline you burn to spin the engine - wasted motion / parasitic loss.

So by using the oil with the lower viscosity, you use less gasoline which saves you money. It also allows you to change your oil less frequently and saves you money on the oil change interval.

So can you use a higher viscosity oil in your engine - yes, it will not hurt the motor.

Will it save you money in the long run - NO, because the heavier oil will make you spend more money on gasoline.

Old 10-22-09, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by bill1925 View Post
MY new CRV says to use 5-20 oil.Does it make any difference if I use 5-30 oil.
newer vehicles have much tighter tolerances for what is allowed for engine assembly clearances.
'if' the manufacture 'states' 5-20/use 5-20.
(if ,say a year from now,you develop some kind of problem.they will want to see all maint records.-if you are not using what they told you to,why should they warranty it ?!)

Old 10-22-09, 03:55 PM
Be careful I haven't seen any TSBs on the crv but Honda's Insite and Toyotas Prius do have an issue with the incorrect viscostiy oil in it the gas motor either does not start or shuts down due to poor oil flow with the thicker oils. Even after 50 to 75k miles. If it works no foul unless something goes wrong and you go for a warrenty repair then it may cost you.

Last edited by Maniac Mechanic; 10-22-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Be careful I haven't seen any TSBs on the crv but Honda's Insite and Toyotas Prius do have an issue with the incorrect viscostiy oil in it the gas motor either does not start or shuts down due to poor oil flow with the thicker oils. Even after 50 to 75k miles. If it works no foul unless something goes wrong and you go for a warrenty repair then it may cost you.
thanks for the 'back up'!
Alot of 'diy-ers' may not understand "what the owner's manual is stating"!
when it comes to a 'warrantable repair'-'all manufactures' are looking for a ""way out"".,if you understand what 'i' am trying to tell you.!