CARS: Turbo parts help

Old 10-23-09, 10:11 AM
CARS: Turbo parts help

Here's the deal:

I just had a problem with my clutch on my car (02 Lancer OZ Rally) so I took it to my local shop to get a new clutch put on. I put on an ACT clutch kit which can handle up to 288 lb/ft of torque. My car right now is semi-stock. Last year I put on a full exhaust (RRM headers, Magnaflow cat, Magnaflow catback exhaust) just to give it some sound and maybe a little power.
Well yesterday, I went to pick up my car and my buddy was talking to me about putting a turbo on. He's had 3 or 4 EVO's so far and says that he's got 3 turbos laying around and that he'll give it to me for free as long as I let him install it. Since my engine is similar to the EVO's (obviously the internals aren't the same), he said it won't be much of a hassle. He said I need to get an intercooler kit (piping as well as intercooler), blowoff valve and a few other miscellaneous parts.
Anybody on here know where to get a basic intercooler kit without going past a few hundred bucks? I'm not gonna be running CRAZY boost, just something to wake the car up.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 11:28 AM
Seriously, I'm kind of dispointed. everytime I ask a question i never receive an answer

Old 10-23-09, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
And Sorry...I don't have an answer for you either. It's only been about an hour though for this question...and most people DO have to work...not me..but I'm special...lol.

You also have to remember..this is more of a DIY repair type forum...not so much an enthusiast forum.

I would think there would be a TON of more suitable places to ask this. As popular as Evo's and Subies are, I know there must be dozens if not hundreds of upgrade kits and componants.

Check back tonite or tomorrow...see if there are any hits....good luck!

Oh, and Welcome to the DIY Forums...this is really the best place around for most around the home home repair projects.

Old 10-23-09, 11:48 AM
Your question was quite specific and not everyone is deeply familiar with the specifics or what you asked, but there will be some general responses.

You certainly did not expect an answer in an hour did you? Most people are working and have not even looked at a computer yet. Sometimes, it takes days to interest someone, since this site is recreation for most heavy responders or someone with a specific answer.

Dick

Old 10-23-09, 11:52 AM
You guys are right but maybe that's because of my first question.. I waited weeks with no luck. anyway I understand and thank you. I will wait and see
maybe that's a good idea to have premium support and prompt answers for nominal fee? lol

Thanks

Old 10-23-09, 10:49 PM
Cutting corners isn't a good idea however if your handy with a tig welder you should be able to pick up a lot of componants from a wrecking yard that has med to heavy duty trucks you wont find exact fits however a cooler off an npr box van has the correct depth and thickness just too wide if you find one damaged on an end they go pretty cheep (aprox 65 to 85 bucks) you have to cut and reweld to adapt it same with the pipes both alum and rubber some will have the bends already made you need but have to be cut and spliced together re welded to fit your app all and all not worth the effort if a premade kit is available only worth it if not.( Experiance talking installed an under the hood supercharger on my 06 hemi charger before the kit was avalible big pain in the @$$)

Old 10-24-09, 04:15 PM
I'm not going to be doing work, it's gonna be a shop where the guy is currently in the middle of a complete rebuild on his EVO. He knows a thing or two about making stuff work. I'm just more or less worried about whether my engine can handle 7 or 8 pounds of boost.
I'm probably gonna give it a try and hope for the best. Can't stand driving around with the stock hp (120hp on my car which isn't even to the wheels YET)

Old 10-24-09, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wouldn't trust a turbo to any part that wasn't made for the configuration. Cutting them out of a junker may make matters even worse. If the boost isn't regulated properly, or intercooled right, it can come apart, and the engine will ingest the parts. And you have already stated the turbo's don't fit your engine, so good luck!

Old 10-24-09, 05:30 PM
I have to fully agree with chandler... Do some research,, A turbo'ed engine is totally different inside.. Pistons,, Cylinder heads,, Spark advance curve,, & lots of other stuff... I know this as I worked on cars when they had the Thunderbird Turbo coupe,, The 2.2 Chrysler turbo in the Lebaron & others.. None of the parts were the same as compared to the regular engine. And they only 7 or 8 pounds of boost.. Even the compression ratio is lower on a turbo engine... Start to Mod it & you may find a lot more to it,,, If you want power, Try to put the turbo money toward a V8 in a small car as a GT mustang,,, If you want the turbo,,, look for the likes as the old GT Mazda MX6 or better yet,, an RX7 as they have virtually no RPM limit to them...... Sorry ,, Roger

Old 10-27-09, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'm not going to be doing work, it's gonna be a shop where the guy is currently in the middle of a complete rebuild on his EVO. He knows a thing or two about making stuff work. I'm just more or less worried about whether my engine can handle 7 or 8 pounds of boost.
I'm probably gonna give it a try and hope for the best. Can't stand driving around with the stock hp (120hp on my car which isn't even to the wheels YET)
Your going to get faster answers and the ability to search for answers on vehicle specific forums. Plus the fact that most of the guys running around on those forums generally know those specific cars inside and out.Good luck!

Mitsubishi-Forums.com
Lancer Tuners.com • Portal
http://forums.evolutionm.net/

Search this Thread