How to empty fuel tank on '98 Blazer?

Old 10-24-09, 03:59 PM
How to empty fuel tank on '98 Blazer?

My 1998 Blazer died just after I filled the gas tank. Engine is toast.

How do I get the gas out before it gets picked up by the wrecker? I'm looking at approx. 20 gallons that I'm reluctant to give away!

All help most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-09, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
No way to feed a small line down the filler neck? If not..then maybe crawl under and find the return line and try from there?

Kinda scary that a car that new blew the engine...what happened?

Old 10-25-09, 01:32 PM
Would you believe

it couldn't survive being driven in 4 LOW at 60MPH for 10 miles?

My wife tells me it must have somehow put itself in 4 LOW as she had never even tried to drive in 4 wheel before...

Old 10-25-09, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah right!...but why did the engine go? It must have been screaming?

I would have thought the transfer case or something would have gone first?

Old 10-25-09, 01:45 PM
I'm amazed that it would do 60 in 4 low! I would ask if your wife knew something was wrong, but I know better not to ask.

My wife ran out of gas last Sunday in the driveway which ultimately resulted in the fuel pump burning up. It did restart after refilling with gas, but later that week she said that her car wouldn't keep running and she needed to go to work. She asked me what should she do? I of course told her to let it sit but she wouldn't listen. I told her to take a blanket, a book, a bottle of water, and her cell phone, this way when she got stranded, she would be ready for anything..LOL She drove it anyway and got stranded in the middle of town, it had to be towed!

WHAT DO WE KNOW?

Old 10-25-09, 06:37 PM
I'm assuming the truck has an electric fuel pump. If it does you should be able to rig a hose to the supply line and turn on the key. Should pump the fuel right out of the tank into whatever you have.

Old 10-25-09, 07:25 PM
It wont pump without the engine running, the fuel pump has a cut out to stop fuel flow if the engine shuts off. This is done in case the vehicle is in an accident. I have had good luck feeding a small (1/4 or 5/16) fuel hose down the filler neck and use a suction gun to start a siphon. Seems fuel pumps know the worst time to die is when there is 20 or 30 gallons of fuel in the tank.