1993 jeep cherokee sport

Old 10-24-09, 09:32 PM
Question 1993 jeep cherokee sport

I have a 1993 jeep cherokee with automatic tranny problems it works perfect when its cold but after only a cpl miles wont go at all until u let it sit for about 20 minuits i have been told it cld b my converter cut out switch but i dont know where to find it and dealer in town cant even get me a new 1 any more any suggestions wld b helpful ty

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-09, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Time to hunt up a good independent tranny shop; ask around. If nobody knows, call several towing companies and ask who's good; they'll know.

Is the tranny serviced regularly; at least as often as recommended by Jeep? If it's been a while you could try a fluid and filter change, but don't be surprised if that actually makes the problem worse (the fresh fluid is a marvelous solvent that sometimes dissolves crud that was keeping the tranny going).

I don't know about your problem in particular but very often the signs of a failing tranny show up with symptoms like you describe. Often the car will move cold but as soon as it warms up a bit the tranny goes. I tow lots of cars with tranny failure that don't move, but by the time we get it to the repair shop they can drive it into the shop. I think mostly these are major internal problems. On a 16+ year old vehcile I would assume you have 175,000 or so miles on it; my guess would be it's just plain worn out.