Brake bleeding nightmare, asking your opinion

Old 11-21-09, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think this was asked but are the calipers mounted on the right sides?? Bleed screws on the top of the piston area. Some cars you can mount on wrong side and get your problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-09, 01:51 PM
Yes, the bleeders are on top.

Worked on it for a few hours again today...still no good!

I removed plugged the main line and plugged it, I got high pedal. I plugged the drivers side line and got more pedal but not great. I unplugged the drivers side and plugged the passenger side, pretty much the same thing. I removed the caliper and the bracket that holds the flex hose. I then bent the brake line so that everything is lower than the tee from the master and bled the system. I then raised the caliper above the tee and used a mighty vac. After all this and wearing out yet another set of bleed screws, I'm no better off.

I even left the passenger front plugged off, bled the drivers front which only leaves the master, a union, some hose, and a caliper and still no good!

I have never heard of a caliper causing this kind of an issue. I have only heard of them freezing up or leaking and I'm losing no fluid.

I think it's time for a professional!

Old 11-21-09, 02:12 PM
nap
Ya think maybe you have a bad master cylinder?

think about it:

replaced M/C brakes were good but lid leaked

replaced M/C and brakes don't work right.

sounds like possibly bad master cylinder

Old 11-21-09, 06:20 PM
I think that I have eliminated the master cylinder. If I cap both lines, I can't push the piston. If I had a bad circuit the piston would go in.

I also capped one line and hooked up the bleeder to the other and I could push it 1/2 way, swapped the plug and bleeder hose and had same results.

Old 11-21-09, 06:32 PM
nap
is this on the car with car running?

if you cap only one port, you still shouldn't be able to push the piston.

If I had a bad circuit the piston would go in.
why would you think that? If you cap off all ports, the good port and the bad ports will all be stopped so the good port being blocked will prevent you from pushing the piston in.

Old 12-06-09, 01:20 PM
No the bleeding was done in my bench vice. I blocked one line and hooked up the bleeder kit on the other. The only time that I couldn't push the piston in at all whs when I blocked both ports.

Update: After installing a manual balancing valve in the rear circuit and a TEE in the front circuit, I tried the brakes again. If I had the manual valve set to put as much brake in the rear as I could, it felt the same. When I adjusted it to work as little as possible in teh front I was actually able to drive the truck out of the garage and down the street, not safely, but I could do it. With the rear restricted thru the manual valve, I had some brake power in the front, not much, but it was there. It was beyond "squishy" but there was something there.

I trailered my truck to my buddies storage garage where I keep it over the winter, I have way too many projects that require a garage to keep working on it. I'll begin again in the fall.

Old 12-06-09, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez...I hope you meant spring....I thought I was the only one who shelved projects for a year....lol.