1999 Cadillac Transmission

Old 10-26-09, 02:40 PM
1999 Cadillac Transmission

1999 Cadilac Deville 4.6L northstar. We think the transmission went out. Driving down the road, rev'd up several times, then continued to pull for awhile - then quit pulling the car. Now it clunks and bangs when put in gear.

Anone have experience with this situation? Hauling it to a friends shop now to take a closer look.

How hard is it to replace the transmission in this car? We've done engine/transmission replacements in a number of front drive cars before - just not a Cadillac. Hoping someone can share their experience.

Thanks is advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 06:30 AM
That is a FWD setup so it will not be cheap and/or easy to remove and repair.

You will need to drop the engine cradle to get to the trans, let alone the suspension parts on each side to free the axles. You may need to remove the engine as a whole as well. Then you can remove the trans and repair. Hopefully they will not need to break the AC lines to do this. If they do then add in a recharge to the AC system.

Old 10-28-09, 08:50 AM
We have the axles out, and looking at it now it appears that the Transmission might have enough clearance to drop down out of there without dropping the engine cradle. Anyone know if this is possible?

Originally Posted by Marlin1975 View Post
That is a FWD setup so it will not be cheap and/or easy to remove and repair.

You will need to drop the engine cradle to get to the trans, let alone the suspension parts on each side to free the axles. You may need to remove the engine as a whole as well. Then you can remove the trans and repair. Hopefully they will not need to break the AC lines to do this. If they do then add in a recharge to the AC system.

Old 10-28-09, 10:28 PM
I don't think this is possible, there is not enough clearance to pull the trans far back enough to drop it down without at least lowering the cradle. I changed one out a while ago and I know I dropped the cradle. Trans should be a 4T8E by the way. Just hope you don't have to do head gaskets on one...

Old 11-04-09, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by xjfish View Post
I don't think this is possible, there is not enough clearance to pull the trans far back enough to drop it down without at least lowering the cradle. I changed one out a while ago and I know I dropped the cradle. Trans should be a 4T8E by the way. Just hope you don't have to do head gaskets on one...
Yep - you are right. There wasn't enough room. Had to drop the entire engine cradle and engine/transmission out the bottom of the car to get the transmission out.