07 Chevy back brakes

Old 10-27-09, 10:09 AM
07 Chevy back brakes

I have a 07 chevy silverado and having problems removing drums to inspect brakes. Can anyone tell me how to remove these drums. I have worked on drum brakes before but these seem to be dfferent. Looks like you need a puller set. Have tried prying them off with no luck. Are they the same as the old style.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 12:38 PM
nap
what size truck is it (1/2 ton, 3/4, 1)?

Old 10-27-09, 04:52 PM
Most drum brakes have a small slotted access hole for adjusting the shoes ussually a small rubber plug at the top of the backing plate.
Use a flat tip screw driver to slowly unwind the self adjusters which will ruduce the diameter of the shoes allowing the drum to be pulled.

One of the sides you will need a thin poker to release the ratchet for the spur on the self adjuster while unwinding the self adjuster with the screw driver because the threads are left handed on one or both....(can't remember)

FYI....their is an actual tool for this but a screwdriver works almost as good.

Old 10-27-09, 06:53 PM
nap
well, I didn't want to jump the gun but if these are pop off drums, yes, if the ridge is holding the drum on, de-adjust the brakes.

More often the center hole of the drum is stuck on the center hub. If the drum is cast center, there are often holes to run a screw into that acts as a built in puller.

If it is stamped steel center (of the drum) take a mapp gas torch or an acetylene torch (better) and heat the drum immediately around the hub. In short order you will hear a quite distinct "crack" or "pop". Then take a modest size hammer and hit the face of the drum near the edge (not real hard but realize, you are hitting metal so it won't shatter either) and the drum should come off.

Piece o' cake.

Old 10-27-09, 07:10 PM
I was holding off also - because you never know.

But usually from the factory they put those little clips on the drums to keep the drums from falling off while it goes down the assembly line.

But usually with something 2 years old, it isn't that hard to get them off - once you get them past the rust ridge.

I have had rotors on the Avalanche that took a hour each with a 5 lbs sledge hammer to get them off.

I'm not a big fan of disc brakes in the rear of a pick up.

Old 10-28-09, 06:30 AM
nap
we be talking about drums there claw although, with the internal parking brake in may vehicles, the drum removal info is often germane.

Old 10-28-09, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. My truck is a 1/2 ton. I will try the hammer to see if it moves. The drum does have two small threaded holes on across from each other and the end of the shaft has a tapered hole that looks like a puller goes into. Wasnt sure if Chevy had changed things around. They should be good with only 40,000 miles but having squealing noise when you step on brakes. Looks like i will just have to get a little rough.

Old 10-28-09, 08:07 AM
nap
Originally Posted by hunting dude View Post
The drum does have two small threaded holes on across from each other and the end of the shaft has a tapered hole that looks like a puller goes into..
I do not remember the thread of the holes but you simply use bolts in those holes as the puller. No additional/separate puller required.

those bolts will then push against the axle flange and pull the drum off.

Old 10-28-09, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's a 5/16 coarse thread but been years since I have done one.