Type F or ATF fluid?????

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-27-09, 04:42 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 526
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type F or ATF fluid?????

What type of transmission fluid goes into a C4 automatic Ford transmission? Type F or ATF? or does it matter and is it ok if they mix?

It's a '67 Mustang.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-27-09, 06:03 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type F was what it took. ATF is just an abbreviation for automatic transmission fluid. I'm not sure the type F is even available. ATF has evolved a long way so you will have to go to the parts store and see which type is compatable.
 
  #3  
Old 10-27-09, 06:40 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 526
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpr28056 View Post
Type F was what it took. ATF is just an abbreviation for automatic transmission fluid. I'm not sure the type F is even available. ATF has evolved a long way so you will have to go to the parts store and see which type is compatable.

That's what I thought.
I added 3.5 qts. of Type F

I also sort of remember an FLM type for Ford Lincoln Mercury

Anyway, Thanks.
 
  #4  
Old 10-28-09, 09:10 AM
C
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 105
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type F - stood for Ford.

Type ATF - was automatic transmission fluid which later became Dextron II

Type FLM - stood for Ford Lincoln Mercury.

Ford transmission had a band material that was made from ASBESTOS! The asbestos required a different type of transmission fluid then the General Motors.

If you used FLM transmission fluid in a GM transmission such as the Turbo Hydro 350 - it ate the clutch material and transmission failure was eminent.

GM used big fancy terms to explain what material was or was not used in their clutches. ( organic materials )

Basically you could use the ATF in the Ford Transmission when it was new, but you could not mix the two and you could not by any means use the FLM in the GM transmission.

Later years, they came out with Dextron II - which I believe interchanged with both types of transmission fluid.

Then along came Dextron III - which is put in most new vehicles.

There is now a Dextron type VI now that is even better.
But at $5 a quart and only available at a GM dealer - is not my cup of tea.


Release of DEXRONŽ VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

2006 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2006 HUMMER H2
2006 HUMMER H3
2005 Saturn Relay
2005 and Prior Saturn L-Series
2005-2006 Saturn ION
2005-2006 Saturn VUE with 4T45-E
2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

Except 2006 and Prior Pontiac Vibe and Torrent
Except 2006 and Prior Chevrolet Aveo, Epica, Equinox, Optra
Except 2005-2006 Pontiac Wave
Except 2003-2005 Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 Only
Except 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series
Except 2006 and Prior Saturn VUE with CVT, AF33 or 5AT (MJ7/MJ8) Transmission Only

This bulletin is being revised to announce the use of DEXRONŽ-VI with the start of the 2006 model year production.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-037 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DEXRONŽ-VI ATF
General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRONŽ-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.
Only 2005 and prior models that currently use DEXRONŽ-III may use DEXRONŽ-VI as a replacement.
All 2006 and future models that use DEXRONŽ-VI are to be serviced with DEXRONŽ-VI fluid only.
DEXRONŽ-VI is an improvement over DEXRONŽ-III in the following area:
DEXRONŽ-VI
Extended Factory Fill For Life 160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
Clutch Friction Stability Improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation Improved 100%
Foam / Aeration Improved 150%
Shear Stability Improved 200%
* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRONŽ-III for the time being.
2006 Transmission Fill and Cooler Flushing
Some new applications of the 6L80 six speed transmission will require the use of the J 45096 -- Flushing and Flow Tester to accomplish transmission fluid fill. It is highly recommended that the clean oil reservoir of the machine be purged of DEXRONŽ-III and filled with DEXRONŽ-VI.
 
  #5  
Old 10-28-09, 09:15 AM
C
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 105
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From the Pennzoil web site.

DEXRONŽ-IIE is an automatic transmission fluid specification from General Motors and is an upgrade and replacement for DEXRONŽ-IID, with the major difference being far superior low temperature flow properties. There is also improved high temperature oxidation and wear protection. This product was necessitated partly to facilitate shifting at low temperatures in electronically controlled transmissions.

DEXRONŽ-III is a automatic transmission fluid specification issued by GM, and fluids meeting this specification can be used in all GM ATF applications including those calling for DEXRONŽ through DEXRONŽ-IIE. The enhanced frictional characteristics of DEXRONŽ-III are different than previous automatic transmission fluids and have been developed to provide smoother shifting for a longer period of time.
 
  #6  
Old 10-28-09, 09:44 AM
mattison's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,549
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I like B&M's synthetic. I switched over in my Z-28 which gets driven pretty hard and it's great.
 
  #7  
Old 10-28-09, 12:39 PM
G
Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Evansville, WI
Posts: 330
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type F is (I believe) still available and was what was recommended for Ford product "back in the day". GM used the various Dexron products.
Later Ford started naming their fluid "Mercon". When I was wrenching, 10+ yrs ago, they had what was called "DexronIII/Mercon", which I think was more of a standard product that GM and Ford both agreed was OK for either brand. If you found "Type F", for an older Ford I would use that. Otherwise if DexronIII/Mercon is still out there I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Check the fne print on the bottle, it should spell out what you can use it in. The wrong stuff will still work, IMHO, better than nothing!
Gilly
 
  #8  
Old 10-28-09, 04:28 PM
A
Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 503
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Definitely Type F.

66 Mustang.
 
  #9  
Old 10-28-09, 07:47 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 109
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
Type F - stood for Ford.

Type ATF - was automatic transmission fluid which later became Dextron II

Type FLM - stood for Ford Lincoln Mercury.

Ford transmission had a band material that was made from ASBESTOS! The asbestos required a different type of transmission fluid then the General Motors.

If you used FLM transmission fluid in a GM transmission such as the Turbo Hydro 350 - it ate the clutch material and transmission failure was eminent.

GM used big fancy terms to explain what material was or was not used in their clutches. ( organic materials )

Basically you could use the ATF in the Ford Transmission when it was new, but you could not mix the two and you could not by any means use the FLM in the GM transmission.

Later years, they came out with Dextron II - which I believe interchanged with both types of transmission fluid.

Then along came Dextron III - which is put in most new vehicles.

There is now a Dextron type VI now that is even better.
But at $5 a quart and only available at a GM dealer - is not my cup of tea.


Release of DEXRONŽ VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

2006 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2006 HUMMER H2
2006 HUMMER H3
2005 Saturn Relay
2005 and Prior Saturn L-Series
2005-2006 Saturn ION
2005-2006 Saturn VUE with 4T45-E
2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

Except 2006 and Prior Pontiac Vibe and Torrent
Except 2006 and Prior Chevrolet Aveo, Epica, Equinox, Optra
Except 2005-2006 Pontiac Wave
Except 2003-2005 Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 Only
Except 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series
Except 2006 and Prior Saturn VUE with CVT, AF33 or 5AT (MJ7/MJ8) Transmission Only

This bulletin is being revised to announce the use of DEXRONŽ-VI with the start of the 2006 model year production.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-037 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DEXRONŽ-VI ATF
General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRONŽ-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.
Only 2005 and prior models that currently use DEXRONŽ-III may use DEXRONŽ-VI as a replacement.
All 2006 and future models that use DEXRONŽ-VI are to be serviced with DEXRONŽ-VI fluid only.
DEXRONŽ-VI is an improvement over DEXRONŽ-III in the following area:
DEXRONŽ-VI
Extended Factory Fill For Life 160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
Clutch Friction Stability Improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation Improved 100%
Foam / Aeration Improved 150%
Shear Stability Improved 200%
* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRONŽ-III for the time being.
2006 Transmission Fill and Cooler Flushing
Some new applications of the 6L80 six speed transmission will require the use of the J 45096 -- Flushing and Flow Tester to accomplish transmission fluid fill. It is highly recommended that the clean oil reservoir of the machine be purged of DEXRONŽ-III and filled with DEXRONŽ-VI.
He's got a 67 FORD Mustang so the history of GM fluids really doesn't apply.

Ford Type F fluid was the same as FLM though never really marketed as that.
 
  #10  
Old 10-28-09, 09:02 PM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 526
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow, great replies all.......

Yeah, I did use Type F, actually I put it in before I created this post, just wanted to have peace of mind.

I was pretty sure but not solid


Advanced has Type F on the shelves.
 
  #11  
Old 10-30-09, 06:39 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 92
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
About ATF.....

While there's a lively ATF discussion ongoing, might I ask what's best for an '02 Camry, 4 cyl.
I'm led to believe that Toyota requires Toyota tranny juice and Toyota motor oil and Toyota windshield washer fluid and
Toyota air in the tires, etc.
Can I buy an equal-if-not-better tranny fluid at the local parts guy, rather than contributing to the local T. dealer's guaranteed annual income?
 
  #12  
Old 10-31-09, 01:38 AM
G
Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Evansville, WI
Posts: 330
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valvoline Maxlife or look at Amsoil. They might cost as much as the Toyota fluid though. Look for a T-IV rating on the bottle in the fine print. The V8 Toyotas definitely need the T-IV fluid, your 4 cyl MIGHT be able to get by with Dexron III
 
  #13  
Old 10-31-09, 07:32 AM
D
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 92
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, GillyWI,
Off to the parts guy I go, passing the T. dealer and the Toyota hand-cleaner in the mens' room.
 
  #14  
Old 11-01-09, 10:05 AM
mickblock's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calumet Township, Indiana
Posts: 616
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dartmouthguy View Post
I'm led to believe that Toyota requires Toyota tranny juice and Toyota motor oil and Toyota windshield washer fluid and
Toyota air in the tires, etc.
Ha ha ha!! That's funny stuff!!
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: