Fuel Injector Cleaning

Old 10-29-09, 02:13 PM
Fuel Injector Cleaning

What is the difference in cleaning injectors other than the cost? I know some people will remove them and clean them but others (like Jiffy Lube) use chemicals.

Thanks!

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 03:53 PM
The proper way to clean the fuel injectors is to take it to a garage that does that service.

They will disconnect the fuel line and connect the fuel system up to a can of fuel injection cleaner.

If you have a problem, it might help.

If you do not have a problem, there is probably no benefit to having them cleaned.

Any garbage you put in the tank with hopes that it will clean the fuel injectors, will probably cause more problems in the long run then it solves.

If you think about it. If it is strong enough to clean the fuel injectors - even when it is diluted with gallons of gasoline, what do you think it is going to do with all the dirt and garbage from the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel rails etc.

It is going to wash all that stuff out and put it all through the fuel injectors - just where you do not want that garbage to be!

The commercials on television that con's people into believing that a can of fuel injector cleaner is going to improve gas mileage and clean out the fuel system, should be sued for lying to the people.

Old 10-29-09, 05:22 PM
Claw,

I agree with your asessment of the junk they have littering the wall at the store!!!

But if you could give more info on the types offered by the shops I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chuck

Old 10-29-09, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Claw Hammer's most important observation:

"If you do not have a problem, there is probably no benefit to having them cleaned."

IMHO at least 90% of the injector cleaning services being done are nothing more than profit centers for the people doing them without any real benefit for the vehicle owner.

Old 10-29-09, 08:01 PM
For years we used GM top engine cleaner, a 50/50 mix to be exact of gas and top engine cleaner.
The service he spoke about goes like this.
#1 engine at operating temp
#2 shut off and disable fuel pump
#3 hook cleaner canister to fuel rail
#4 hook shop air to cleaner tool and have regualted to that engines fuel pressure
#5 start unit and open tool's valve to maintain flow of fuel into rail as the engine drains the fuel from the rail.
#6 = grey area, some allow engine to idle until the tool is empty and some take it to about 1500 rpm and maintain that for 10-30 minutes depending on the engine's fuel consuption.
that it, your done after everything is hooked back up.

I would advise you to ask some questons about the cleaner they use.
I only have personal experience with 4 different kinds
M.O.C. brand is a waste of money, hang up the phone and call the next guy
Top Engine works GREAT!!!, however it seems those week california lab rats got into a case of it, drank it, and died. So now the rest of the country has to suffer
GM "injection cleaning kit" works really good and is my 2nd choce
BG chemicals works pretty good and is my third choice.

I would like to say there is one "dump in your tank" product I like that is, GM fuel system treatment plus, I dont value it because of its cleaning properties but because it has a chemical which will coat fuel senders and pumps to help combat the problems assocated with the low sulfer fuel.

hope this helps,

Old 10-29-09, 08:24 PM
you can avoid this problem,with dirtyclogged injectors, by simply useing the name brand gasolines-,yes! they are 5-8 cenths a gallon higher. but-if you do the math,5-8 cenths,on a $2.50-gallon of fuel will not amount to _$1.00 on a fill up.
chevron-#1/mobile/exxon/shell-all have ad additive (techron)
in there fuel-to 'keep'the injectors clean.
(for the past 19+ years, 'i'have used only -chevron, or other-'name'-brand fuels.
have nerer had an injector-fouling/dirty problem.
SO as stated above-'if' you do not have a problem, an injector cleaning is a waste of money-(unless you have been gettitg your fuel at-w,mart/race tcac-etc.)

Old 10-30-09, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
I get all the gas for my wrecker from WalMart, Sam's Club, Racetrack, and every other cheap seller and the truck still has the original TBI injectors at 552,000 miles.

Old 10-30-09, 07:18 AM
Gop

As for Techron I believe it's a Chevron trademarked additive. All the companies have there own version but Techron is a chevron chemical. As for injector cleaning most all of the stuff you buy is just a profit center as stated. Use of a high end fuel is the easiest way to keep them clean. As for 500000 miles there is a point where the injector efficiency starts to dwindle due to wear and should be replaced. A 50 year old man doesn't run near as well as a 18 year old, it's just simple physics.
Bill

Old 10-30-09, 07:38 AM
TBI injectors are tough as nails, what you have to watch for on them is the actual spray pattern, I have seen many units with lots of miles that still run fine but if ou watch the spray pattern the fuel droplets are pretty big when compared to a unit that has been cleaned or is new.
As for fuel choice, that is the million $$$$ question. With all the blended fuels, e85, and the not so pure but sold as pure fuel we have alot of fuel mileage questions to answer every week with our customers.
I am dead set on fuel system services every 30k miles. As a tech i actully fixed some driveabilty issues performing this and now I have many customers who have thanked me becuse their fuel mileage did go up by a couple mpg after the service. I explain it like a drain pipe in your house, over time small particles start to build up and begin to block the flow causing the injector spray pattern to be altered. You cant hold an injector in your hand and tell it has failed or has a bad pattern, but 9 times out of 10 the "seat of your pants" feel is much better with a clean injection and induction system.

Old 10-30-09, 07:57 AM
Just for the record, I will tell a story about my Uncle - Honest BOB.

He was a school teacher and a very educated person.

He swore by the fuel system cleaners.

I had a identical car to his, and they both had the same amount of miles on them.

He had paid careful attention to the maintenance and I repaired stuff as it broke.

I ran better fuel and he ran Kwik Fill, Sheetz and the other cheap gasoline's.

At the end of 10 years, I still had the original fuel filter on my vehicle. When I took it off, it was still as clean inside as the day I put it on.

He had put two fuel filters on his car in 100,000 miles and both of his fuel filters weighed more then mine because of the garbage inside of them.

I caught him one day checking the oil in his car. He would pull the dipstick and wipe it with a rag and then put it back in and then read it and then wipe it with a rag and then put it back in.

I asked him why he wiped it a second time and he said because he didn't want to put that dirty dipstick back in the engine?

And this was one of the highest paid school teachers in the school district! And you wonder why Johnny can't read!

Old 10-30-09, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I get all the gas for my wrecker from WalMart, Sam's Club, Racetrack, and every other cheap seller and the truck still has the original TBI injectors at 552,000 miles.
tbi injector doesnt foul as the sequential injectors do

Old 11-01-09, 08:10 AM
I really sparked a debate here!!!

Anyway, my Ranger now has 321,000 miles and cylinder number 1 is running a little lean, according to Autozone's CEL reading, and since I only had the injectors cleaned once (at Jiffy Lube) I would find out more.

Anything else? Thanks!!!

Old 11-01-09, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
tbi injector doesnt foul as the sequential injectors do
I was waiting to see who was going to ring in first with that point.

Been getting the same gas mileage and performance at 500k as I did at 200k (when I started driving this truck), but I sometimes wonder what the effect would be of changing them out. Next time I have a couple hundred $ to spare maybe I'll try it. Let's see, I can send the invoice to DIY and get them to reimburse me for the "research".

Free tow next time you're in town (my town), New.

Old 11-01-09, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Chucktkd View Post
I really sparked a debate here!!!

Anyway, my Ranger now has 321,000 miles and cylinder number 1 is running a little lean, according to Autozone's CEL reading, and since I only had the injectors cleaned once (at Jiffy Lube) I would find out more.

Anything else? Thanks!!!
what 'I' would suggest,(i am sure-all the others have there own opinion)- run the vehicle down to 1/4 tank of fuel-add-1-'chevron'-aditive of ''techron'' to the tank drive an other 50/75 miles,or till it is need of fuel. add an other 'techron' ..try it ,see-if it helps,-if you have a cloged/dirty injector>