brake light ?

Old 11-02-09, 07:15 AM
brake light ?

I have a 2002 Chevy Venture. It has a rear brake light out on the driver side. The tail light ( which is the same bulb works) but the brake ( second filament I assume) doesn't work. I have never changed this bulb before and I put a new lamp in a couple weeks ago and it worked fine, however, yesterday someone brought it to my attention that it wasn't working. Not sure how long it has been out. I know it is the right bulb because I changed the other side a year or so ago and this lamp I put in has been in the glovebox since then. Anyways, was wondering what would take these out prematurely or could it be a fluke. The socket appeared fine and no corrosion was present in the socket or the lamp end and the lamp snapped in tight. How do these work if you tested with a volmeter on the socket, I am assuming when the tailight is on the lamp gets half the voltage and when the brake is pressed full voltage goes to the lamp. Please advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 03:12 PM
Inside a dual filament bulb, one filament might be 10 watts and the other might be 20 watts.

Pre Mature? Geesh - it is a 2002.

Usually bulbs do not last very long if vibration is transferred to the bulb. Since I am here and you are there, I do not know what types of roads you travel on, and so I do not have a explanation for you.

My only advice would be the same as what I do with the 2002 Avalanche I drive, carry extra bulbs in the glove compartment.