2000 windstar radio interference

Old 11-03-09, 11:57 AM
Angry 2000 windstar radio interference

I have a 2000 ford windstar sel with the 3.8L engine. Recently I have noticed the following strange symptoms:

when braking, I get a high slowly cycling squeal coming over the radio (am stations). The squeal goes up in pitch slowly and then comes down in pitch slowly.

when running the front heater/ac motor, I hear a buzzing interference on the AM stations. The interference gets louder the higher I turn the fan motor control. It can get loud enough to totally drown out the stations.

the rear fan/ac motor doesn't cause any interference

when using the turn signal, I get a pulsed interference timed to the blinker sound on the am stations.

when using my cell phone charger (plugged into the cigarette lighter, guese what? it causes static on the am band.

so, pretty much any damned thing I do causes squealing and interference on the am band.

The noise is intermittent, but it's happening more and more often.

what gives with this lemon?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 04:24 PM
""what gives with this lemon?"" It's a lemon because the radio doesen't work on the AM band?? I didn't know there where AM stations anymore??? Is the `ground from the body of the van to the insulation under the hood in good shape??? You do have the silver kinda stuff under the hood & a wire connects it to the body of the van?? Do you have the origional Ford Radio??? Or has this van been in an accident??? Answer these & we'll take it from there.... Roger

Old 11-04-09, 09:16 AM
yes, the ground is still in place and looks good - no loose connections or evident corrosion, no the van has not been in an accident, and yes it still has the original sound system.

I hate to shock you, but yes, there are still AM radio stations and yes, there are still people who listen to them.

Old 11-05-09, 06:47 AM
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way about the comment about people listining to AM but when you condemm a car as a lemon because the raido doese`nt work & your getting free advice from someone with 25 years of Ford experience..I`ll let the others look after this... Roger

Old 11-05-09, 09:34 AM
My previous comment still holds. I didn't want to give the full history on this car, but here goes...

at 40,000 I had to have the motor completely rebuilt. At 42,000 miles I had to have the transmission rebuilt. At 50,000 I had to have the power steering system completely gone through. at 42,000 miles repeat of the power steering fiasco. The van has burned through 3 alternators in the past 6 years. After having the power steering system gone through twice, it still groans and shudders when cranking the wheel sharply at a standstill and guzzles power steering fluid like a drunk guzzling thunderbird but mysteriously no sign of fluid leaks. I have had most of the work done at the dealer and some of it done at other ford authorized service centers (other dealerships) and it doesn't seem to make any difference. This will be my last ford product. I previously had a ford taurus wagon and it disolved into a steaming pile at precisely 98,000 - in one year the engine had to be rebuilt, tranny had to be rebuilt, replaced the ac compressor, and it started blowing alternators every 3 months. I had it in to several ford service centers and other diagnostic outfits and no one could find any current drain or any other sign of a short that would cause the alternators to blow.

My previous vehicle to the taurus was a dodge intrepid and it racked up over 200,000 before it died. My previous car before that was a toyota corona wagon and it racked up almost 300,000 with no rebuilds on the engine or transmission - just routine maintenance.

I don't mistreat my vehicles. I baby them by having the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. I use synthetic oil and have the transmission serviced yearly. I watch for fluid leaks like a hawk. I never race the engine and very seldom do I punch the accelerator. I have a complete safety check done yearly - cooling, brakes, steering, the works.

Like I said, I didn't want to get into the whole sordid story, but this car and the ford product I had prior were truly lemons and I will never purchase another ford product. My first crack about lemons was purely one of frustration. I think it was justified. No way for you to know that, of course, since I didn't get into the whole mess.

Any help anyone can render would be greatly appreciated. I truly want to get to the bottom of this. I need at least one victory over this car!

Old 11-05-09, 10:18 AM
Sorry, found a typo in my above post. The initial power steering work was done at 42,000 and the repeat was done at 50,000. I also forgot to mention that the service at 42,000 included rebuilding the rack and pinion system. It has also had 2 new master cylinders in the last 8 years. The first master cylinder was leaking and I had to have a new ABS switch installed. The same part that was recently listed as a factory recall.

I really wish I could be enthusiastic about fords as my family has been very loyal to ford products going back 2 generations. Although, to be fair, I do have to admit that I have never owned a ford truck. My experience has been with cars/wagons and vans. The trucks may very well be a different kettle of fish.

Search this Thread