Which brake pads to choose?

Old 11-05-09, 04:06 PM
Which brake pads to choose?

Honda Accord 2000 LX 4dr 5spd 2.3 4 cyl.

I am trying to pick a set of the front brake pads in this online store. They stock 61 different ones, ranging in price from 28 to 95 dollars. How do I pick? I don't think that I need performance pads. Should I pick the cheapest or, perhaps, ceramic, or some other criteria?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-09, 04:21 PM
You did not say what manufacturers were available or how old you were or what sex you were or how fast you drive the car.

Asking a questions like that is like calling a doctor and asking over the phone - what is wrong with me? Without giving any particulars.

Old 11-05-09, 05:04 PM
Claw Hammer, with all due respect, I gave full car specs and said that I do not need any special performance. This answers your question about my driving style. I do not think that your doctor analogy is valid.

As for the manufacturers, I'd rather pick based on features not names. That being said, all of them are available I believe.

Old 11-05-09, 06:47 PM
I would just go to an Autozone and buy the life time guarenteed pads. Usually costs $15 to $25 dollars and they replace them when they wear out in 3 years.

Old 11-05-09, 08:04 PM
'i' personly-do not deal with 'autozone'!
main reason-there 1st line of patrs is 'bottom' line.
'i' recently used orielly-new rotors(made in mexico)-bendix- pads(sort tan- in color).-($90.00)
(02 explorer)-btw.
1 year later-"NO'brake dust!
BUT-they do squeak/squeal-when cold-(1st-or 2dd stop-stops)
sorta -as the saying goes-'you get what you pay for'.
as far as 'your question'?
did you have a lot of brake dust?
are your rotors-worn?
'what' do 'you want'-when all is said & done

Old 11-08-09, 10:09 AM
Wink What color brake dust ya want?

What I would do is in your case is just go for inexpensive midrange semi-metallic, with longevity being the main criteria. Your car is pretty light so you don't need to go all out to get some extra benefits the way you would if you were buying for a truck, SUV, etc.

Ceramics and many "performance" linings require upgraded rotors, to prevent them from wearing out early or warping. And many parts catalogs assume that you know this.

Look at it this way, at least your making the effort to maintain your vehicle, so your already starting out on the right foot!

Old 11-08-09, 09:09 PM
In my own vehicles, I use Hawk and Performance Friction - Carbon Metallic pads. But then again, I am abuseive and brake pads do not last long on a 2002 Avalanche that weighs 5000+ lbs.

I usually recommend using Wear Ever brand brake pads for most small vehicles. The Silver is probably all the more you would need, the Gold is even better. Both have a lifetime - one time replacement warranty.

Old 11-13-09, 09:25 PM
Hi all,

please comment if the following makes sense.

I have got to talking to another customer at Autozone today while trying to pick the front brake pads. He claimed to be a mechanic. He suggested that I buy Duralite ceramic pads and replace rotors as well, and I wouldn't have to worry about front brakes for years.

The rotors are 22 apiece, the more expensive ones, with 2-year warranty. The pads are 53 for the set, kinda expensive. The guy claimed that these are the best on the market. I am not sure that I need the very best but then it is not that expensive after all.

I am leaning towards buying these rotors and pads and putting them on. I might be ok with the regular pads ($20) and old rotors. However, I have no means to resurface the rotors, nobody to drive me to the shop. So, I can take a chance that the rotos are ok but if they are not, it is probably cheaper for me to replace them rather than trying to resurface the old ones. That mechanic guy suggested that I should replace the rotors, otherwise in a few thousand miles the brakes will develop a wobble. That actually did happen to my old '92 Accord after brake pad replacement, so I tend to believe him.

So, does it look like an overkill to shell out almost hundred dollars for new rotors and ceramic pads for my Accord? Or it makes sense given that I do not have other means of transportation to go to the store, and that I would like to avoid multiple reassembles of the front brake system.

Thanks! All comments are very welcome.

Old 11-14-09, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Just an opinion..that sounds pretty darn cheap to me. My rotors run about $45 a piece and the pads are about $50 a set.

It seems like I've heard the ceramics can be a little noisy (don't hold me to that)..but they work just fine and should easily go 75-100k in normal driving.

And I learned after my last brake issue..I'll never turn rotors again...better to just buy new and be done with it.

Old 11-14-09, 09:00 AM
Well if the mileage on your rotors is getting up there, then replacing them makes sense, regardless of what type of liners you decide on. Since upgraded rotors for your ap are not too expensive, I would probably snag 'em.

Head to head, in light-medium duty applications, ceramics and semi-metallic will wear at the same rate.
Ceramic brake lining will only last longer in industrial applications, where the heat tolerance of conventional material is routinely exceeded.
So I suppose alot of people began to reason that 'hey, if they work better on freight trains and semi-trucks, Imagine how well they'll work on a car! So they got a reputation as being superior across the board.

Besides, as Gunguy45 mentioned, they are more prone to squeel, at the contact surface where there is nothing you can do about it!
And if you find quiet ceramics, then basically you have a liner that is merely designed to keep dark colored brake dust off of your rims. Which is cool.

Ceramics are so new that there is no labeling standard for the average consumer. Just like when synthetic oil first reached the auto stores. Bottles of conventional oil could be contain the word synthetic front and center if they contained synthetic additives. You didn't know what you were really getting unless you researched!

When I recently bought new liners for my Ranger, I was considering the ceramics, but after researching I decided that it wasn't necessary.

Disc brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia