Need Hyundai transmission wiring diagram

Old 11-08-09, 10:47 AM
Need Hyundai transmission wiring diagram

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with well over 230K miles. The car still ran great until recently. A few months ago, when under heavy acceleration, the Check Engine light came on. I pulled the codes and came up with the following: P0760, P0755, and P0713. There was a fourth, but I misplaced the printout. I did a bit of poking about under the hood, and I found a disconnected wire on the transmission. It may have been for the transmission temperature sensor, I am not sure. The light remained on after I replaced the wire. I have the factory service manual, haynes, and chiltons, which cover everything but the transmission. I've looked high and low, and can't find a transmission wiring diagram anywhere, so I can't trace out all of the sensors, solenoids, etc, except by eye. I really can't afford to take the car in to the dealership for service.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-09, 02:29 PM
Well, now I'm fairly certain that it is the wiring harness. The connector for the coolant temperature sensor gauge broke off in my hand today, so I'm fairly certain that bad wiring at the connectors are causing my grief. The problem is, that Hyundai wants over $1,000.00 for a new wiring harness, and apparently it is not something that most junkyards keep. The usual practice is to just cut through the wiring and toss the connectors, whenever a car is dismembered for parts. There are no aftermarket wiring parts for Hyundai available either. I don't have space for a parts car, and pick-a-part boneyards don't exist around here.

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 11-25-09, 05:12 PM
If it is only a wire or two, why not just run single wires from the trans' sensors to wherever they end up? Wouldn't that work?

Old 11-25-09, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
If it is only a wire or two, why not just run single wires from the trans' sensors to wherever they end up? Wouldn't that work?
Mainly, because I think the connector itself is compromised. With the temperature sensor connector that I lost today, there is no wire visible, only a rubber housing with a hole where the wire is supposed to go. If I cut the housing free, I might be able to solder a new wire in and either glue the rubber back in place or cover it all with electrical tape. However, that would be a kluge job, which I really don't want to do. With the trans sensor, the connector in question appears to be damaged, although it is still connected to the wire. I want this done right, but the replacement parts don't seem to be available.

Old 11-29-09, 04:44 PM
hmmmm, I checked my online resources even, and there is no wiring diagram for it. Did you go to a dealer and ask them for a printout, or try a Chilton manual?

Old 11-30-09, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by my8950 View Post
hmmmm, I checked my online resources even, and there is no wiring diagram for it. Did you go to a dealer and ask them for a printout, or try a Chilton manual?
I was able to get a very general diagram from the dealership. It is basically an exploded view of the transmission itself. Chiltons manuals are far to generalist to have what I need.

I called around and found a pick-a-part junkyard that claimed that they had what I needed. After a three hour drive, and fifteen minutes in the lot, I discovered that the car didn't have anything left under the hood. I found another junkyard that had everything I needed but I would have to buy the whole engine. So, now I am going to try and rebuild the connectors. One of the connectors on the transmission might be damaged. I might be able to straighten it out with pliers and a file, I'm not sure. There is only one wire on that one, so I am hoping that it shouldn't be too difficult.

Old 12-07-09, 12:19 PM
Okay, I fiddled about with the wiring, found a loose plug, and rebuilt two connectors. Two of the codes went away, but I still have two remaining. The first is P0713- Transmission Temperature Sensor Open Circuit. The second is P1624- Low Cooling Fan Relay Circuit Fault. Neither one is covered in my factory service manual, or Chiltons.

I still can't find anything on the transmission temperature sensor. The printouts I got from the dealership are worthless, as they only reference part numbers, rather than component names.

I inspected the individual components in the cooling fan control system. I can't see where it gets it's power from (before the relay box), and the manual doesn't say. I am guessing if the fusible links were faulty, that the damage would be visible. I couldn't find a test procedure for the relay. I'm don't think the fan is coming on. I've had the fan itself fail on me twice so far (without a check engine light), but it doesn't look like I'm running hot.

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 12-08-09, 12:44 PM
Well, I was mistaken about the radiator fan. It does run, which calls into question the P1624 code. Is that really for the cooling fan relay circuit? I've also seen references to this code meaning Manufacture Control Auxillary output/input, or request signal from TCM to ECM. I do not have the stock transmission in this car. It was a junkyard rebuild, that was a close but not exact fit. I have the receipt and it was for a A4AF3 transmission, and according to online sources, this model was used in the Hyundai Accent, rather than the Elantra. I know I had to get a different TCM when I had it swapped in.

Old 12-09-09, 09:31 AM
I wound up going to the dealer to have the car put on their scanner. It was a faulty transmission temperature sensor, after all. To fix it, the car needs open transmission surgery, which does not come cheap. However, at least it doesn't require a full rebuild. The P1624 code was just a signal from the TCM.

I needed to have the transmission rebuilt three years ago, and the rebuilder was definitely confused by the wrong transmission being in the car. For all I know, he may have put the wrong sensor in. Of course, the warranty on the rebuild is long gone, and I'm 400 miles away from his shop...

State inspection is due in a few weeks, and it won't pass with any service codes, so either I get the work done, or I scrap the car...