hot running altima

Old 11-09-09, 01:28 AM
hot running altima

I just changed the radiator and upper and lower hoses on a 93 nissan altima after the old core burst. now everytime I drive my car uphill it gets hot fast. I can idle for 15 minutes without a problem and have driven 10 miles on the freeway ( relatively flat ) without the temp getting past 3/8 hot. The minute that I start uphill to get home the engine heats up.

When it does get hot I can keep it from overheating by turning on my heater to full blast. This seems to help with the temp returning to just above half providing I am not going uphill any more.

The car runs well and is maintained regularly. There is 50/50 coolant in the radiator and the pressure cap is good.

Any ideas will be appreciated. The coolant capacity is 8.2 qts. I replaced about 7.5 qts.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-09, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you rechecked the coolant level? Did the electric fan get hooked back up? is the fan running?

Old 11-09-09, 10:27 AM
altima

hi, thanks for your response.

yes, topped off coolant twice and both fans run.

could it be thermostat or blocked heater? how can I check?

thanks again

Old 11-09-09, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Wondering if this engine has an air bleed? I think my wifes older Sentra did. That might affect the flow somehow if the grade is very steep?

Do you have a repair manual to check?

EDIT...I checked Autozone and it does mention bleeding the system after refilling..but it doesn't say how. It seems like my wifes had a little fitting on the thermostat cover..but that may have been my old Honda.

Old 11-09-09, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Won't be the heater core; that has no direct effect on the engine temp. Thermostat possible; rather than run in circles trying to troubleshoot the thermostat I would just change it out. Even if it's not defective it's a cheap part and won't hurt to be replaced. A lot of people would have advised you to replace it the same time you did the rad & hoses.

Is it using coolant, i.e. have to keep it topped off?

Old 11-09-09, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
They let you out of the asylum this time of day, Guns?

Should of thought about air in system myself.

Old 11-09-09, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Let me out? Heck no..I escaped! lol

Old 11-09-09, 01:13 PM
altima

yes i read in the manual about bleeding the air out of the system but i cant find a bleeder anywhere. any ideas on how i can burp this sucker?

no, i am not losing coolant. After i heat it up i recheck the level when cold and add to the radiator neck. it isnt very much but i,m hoping that the air lock is slowly fading? wishful thinking maybe.

thanks for the help, any ideas welcome at this point.

Old 11-09-09, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Without a bleeder my method is:

1. Park on as steep an uphill incline as you can find or run the vehicle up on ramps. You want to make the radiator cap the absolute highest point in the system.
2. Remove cap.
3. Start and idle engine until thermostat opens. Prior to the thermostat opening you will get some coolant overflow as it heats up and expands. Let it flow.
4. When the thermostat opens you should get a noticeable flow in the radiator and the level will generally drop down slightly or at least stop overflowing. This is when it should burp out any air that is trapped.
5. Immediately top off with coolant if necessary and replace the cap.

Did I leave anything out, Guns?

Old 11-10-09, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
I can't think of anything really. I might warm up the car slightly..then put it on the ramps..but I guess it would depend on how the oil pan is situated and really how much of an angle the ramps put on it.

Big diff between an MG Midget and a F250...lol

Old 11-10-09, 04:14 PM
Thumbs up all good

Beer 4U2

Thanks guys.

I replaced the thermostat, refilled coolant on ramps and now its all good.

time for some coolant for me!!!

thanks again

southwest swell 6-8 ft offshore winds