Do I need boots to cover my new rear struts?

Old 11-11-09, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need boots to cover my new rear struts?

I had a pair of rear struts installed and then took my car to Firestone for a wheel alignment because I purchased the lifetime alignment. After Firestone did the alignment the guy told me that whoever did the struts did not put boots on my new struts and that it will significantly decrease the life of the struts. He said if I don't get the boots that I will need new struts by the spring! That's only a few months, albeit winter months. He said the dust, dirt, grime, salt, and other junk will get into the strut and ruin them. Is that true? Will my struts go bad that quickly? Should I look into getting boots or is that snake oil? I mean, what if that dirt, snow, grime, dust, etc get inside the boot? won't that decrease the life of the strut even more? I have a 1996 geo prizm (same thing as a corolla) and live in a wintry northern climate. It has about 168k miles and I am not sure how long I will keep the car (maybe another couple of years if nothing else goes majorly wrong with it).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The boots are there for a purpose, and should be attached. Dirt won't get behind the boots, as they are sealed top and bottom. I am not sure if the struts will go bad by spring, but it will definitely shorten the life of the struts by keeping them exposed to the elements. But if you don't worry about all the salt in the snow, then spring may be your magic time of year.