What happened to Chilton?

Old 11-14-09, 09:38 AM
What happened to Chilton?

Does anyone have a favorite automotive manual publisher that they feel is top notch?

I used to just go with Chilton, because in my opinion they were more thorough and used good paper stock, but something terrible happened and now they are made of newspaper and are written like Haynes.
I just dicovered that Haynes is now the publisher.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-09, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never had a Chilton's. When I read your thread title, I was first trying to guess maybe how the guy died.

Anyway, I suppose due to limited space, there is so much ANY manual can say. I'm sure all of us with manuals have had beefs. I have had plenty. But for them to cover everything thoroughly and answer every conceivable question, the manual would probably have to be like the Library of Congress or something.

Another issue I have is how they include various types of vehicles and engines in one manual. This hugely complicates it for a person to quickly hone in on a problem on your particular vehicle. You have to sort through various instructions and photos that due not apply and maybe they omitted pictures and explanations you could use, due to as mentioned limited space, due to the fact they include so much stuff that does not apply to YOUR vehicle.

Obviously, the answer is for them to make one manual for each particular vehicle with a certain engine and transmission type. But they obviously have their marketing reasons why they don't.

Old 11-14-09, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=ecman51`;1650174]I've never had a Chilton's. When I read your thread title, I was first trying to guess maybe how the guy died.[QUOTE]
That very thing occurred to me as I was clicking submit!

Chilton manuals used to be made of more solid bright white paper that made print and particularly pictures, show more clearly. and they didn't telegraph a spot of fluid through half a dozen pages. (just one gigantic spot on one page)

Anyway just perhaps there wasn't anything too terribly different between the two besides the construction.

Old 11-14-09, 11:10 AM
I have a Chiltons small engine manual that I find very useful.

For auto repairs, nothing beats the factory service manual, or cd/dvd. Alldatadiy is a good tool too.

Never did like Haynes.

Old 11-14-09, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post
Never did like Haynes.
See ecman, that's all I wanted to hear.

p.s. sorry I screwed up your quote.

a'right I'll knock off the chit-chat thread now.