2003 honda doesn't heat interior

Old 11-15-09, 08:01 PM
Question 2003 honda doesn't heat interior

interior gets warm but does not get really warm, is it possible a door or valve is not opening all the way?
how do i get to either of these or do you have another suggestion for the heat or no heat?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tis the season for the heat related problems.

It very well could be the blend door not fully actuating and allowing the heat of the core. How does/did the A/C work? If the blend door was defective, your A/C wouldn't be as cool either.

If the A/c was pretty cold I would replace your thermostat. If the thermostat was stuck open it wouldn't allow the coolant to get hot enough.

Old 11-16-09, 04:54 PM
Until you get it resolved - note that by keeping the fan speed slower will help keep the warm you do have, to maximum warm. Too much blower speed in your case can greatly drop the temp.

Can you get at the heater core hose connections, by the bulkhead, easily, under the hood, so you can disconnect and blow through them to see if core obstructed? Maybe you need a flush. Also see if you have some sort of inline valve in the hose, under the hood.

I don't know what kind of motor you have. But maybe you can use this as something to go by: My 2.5 4 cylinder got me 160F (after about 5 miles driving at highway speed) at the panel vents on cool summer mornings. Now that temps are getting 20's to 50, the thermometer I have stuck in the panel vent will still be 130 -145F about. My left hand on the steering wheel actually feels like it is being scorched.

Old 11-16-09, 05:01 PM
I didn't give a lot of thought to the AC until your question, but no it did not cool as much as I would of thought it should have. I will try removing the heater hoses and blowing through them this next weekend. The thermostat you mentioned where would I find it and also where is the blend door actuator?

Old 11-16-09, 05:18 PM
Thermostats are located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. It connects to a thermostat housing there. Inside that housing is the thermostat. If you put a new one in, ever - they have to go in so the spring part is toward the engine! Also you need a new gasket when you change one. Some nowdays have a self adhesive on one side, so no gasket sealant is necessary.

But if you thermostat were stuck open you should also show on your temp gauge, a lower reading than normal.

If you get involved with such stuff as an actuator, you may want to buy a manual for your car, as you will be dealing with dash and under dashboard work. Check out the easier stuff first.

You could also try to see if there is any service bulletins out on your vehicle, in respect to your problem, that have affected other same vintage Hondas. You might even be able to squeeze such information out of a service manager at a Honda dealer. (I've called up those guys many times over the years. Generally, they are helpful.) The worse that is going to happen is the person might say to bring it in, and they'd take a look. Then it is up to you. The best is - he will tell you, and maybe even tell you what is the likely cause.

P.S. Don't get a brainstorm to use 100 psi air or water to blast out heater core. (Eek), as system designed for probably 14-17 psi about. Anything too much above normal operating pressure, and who knows what might happen depending on condition of the core.

Old 11-18-09, 08:13 AM
At 34F out, sun, cruising down highway at about 58mph, with heat coming through panel vents, no fan assist = 147F. With fan on high, 128F. Naturally, various fan speeds in between no fan and high fan will cause temps to vary between 128 -147. This may help others, as some bench mark.