'92 Ford Mustang Air Bag Light

Old 11-15-09, 08:12 PM
'92 Ford Mustang Air Bag Light

My son (17 yrs. old) recently bought a used '92 Ford Mustang Convertible LX 4-cyl. 2.3 liter, automatic trans. He was replacing the brake master cylinder in his H.S. automotives class and while reattaching the brake lines his ratchet touched some metal part (maybe the master cylinder itself) and he said some sparks flew. Master cylinder and brakes are fine, but now the air bag light is flashing on his dash. I know that "his ratchet touched some metal part" isn't very specific and not of much help, but that's all he can tell me. Oh, yeah, one more thing. His teacher refuses to help out on anything involving airbags. (For liability reasons I'm sure). Can anybody give me a clue as to what happened ??? And on a car this old, I'm hoping the electronics are not so sophisticated that we can't fix this ourselves (money is real tight right now). Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Graywolf

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 11:17 AM
Your son's teacher is smart enough to know that he shouldn't be involved in airbags. He should have known that the battery should have been disconnected however.

Don't even think about trying to fix this yourself. It is an airbag and any attempts to repair it could result in it going off and it can kill you or your son. If in doubt, go to any fire station and ask one of the firefighters about airbags.

You need to take this to a dealer. They can read any faults and repair it as necessary. It may not cost as much as you think and at least they will know exactly what it is, instead of throwing parts at it, and you'll then have the piece of mind of knowing your son's airbag works correctly.

Old 11-18-09, 11:11 PM
Many thanks

Thanks for the reply aandpdan! I kind of figured that the reply would be "take it to a dealer" but I was hoping that maybe it would be something we could fix. Your statement of "it could kill you" is enough for me to go the 'dealer' route and have it done right as you suggest. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Graywolf

Old 11-26-09, 03:31 PM
There are many mobile airbag services that will come out to your house and and diagnose the system for under a $100. Maybe it's just a voltage spike that set a code and it just needs to be erased. This is also an option: MyAirbags - SRS Module Repair - after accident $49

Old 11-29-09, 04:27 PM
go here...Web Page Re-director
you'll have to create an account as well, but it will probably save you a bit of cash. Ask your question there before taking it to a shop/dealer, the problem can't be that tough of an issue, then again, my mustang doesn't have airbags....