I got problems. Remanufactured engine nothing but grief

Old 11-16-09, 07:59 PM
I got problems. Remanufactured engine nothing but grief

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. In September I had the original lower intake manifold removed because the mechanic touched up a pitted, corroded spot with JBWeld which I was not comfortable with. I replaced it with a junkyard one which I had reconditioned at a local machine shop.

I suspected that I might have an internal leak, although there are none of the visual warnings of coolant in the oil. But coolant level went down a little, dipstick reads high at same spot every time, exhaust smells sweet, and there are no external leaks. I just had an oil lab analysis done. It indicates coolant in oil at 1655 parts per million.

If the manifold faces weren't milled at the correct angle, am I screwed? I don't want to use the old one either and they don't make new lower manifolds anymore for my make/model. Can't some place do measurements of the manifold faces to see whether old or reconditioned manifold is better choice?

Maybe it's not the lower intake manifold? Anyway I guess I can have compression or leak down tests done. I don't know if any of those will be conclusive.

By the way, the mechanic also is requesting warranty service to get lifters replaced after we both listened to valve sound.

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 11-16-09 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 08:08 PM
the last 2.9 i had ,had a coolant leak from a cracked head.
coolant was leaking under the valve cover around the spring seat area.

Old 11-17-09, 06:11 AM
I'm a little confused. Your title says remanufactured engine. But in the body all you talk about is the manifold that was purchased from a salvage yard. Did you replace the engine? If you did, and got it from a reputable place, why are you getting parts from a salvage yard unless the manifold wasn't included with the reman. I'll agree with the previous poster, the issue if you have a coolant leak is probably with the head and if that's the case, it should be a warranty issue.

Old 11-17-09, 11:17 AM
Yes, I had a remanufactured engine installed. They no longer manufacture this manifold for my make/model. So I had a reconditioned one installed. I suspect that this reconditoned one might not have been milled to the right spec and is leaking.

I have to have the lifters replaced under warranty and the lower intake manifold can be swapped out simultaneously. So I have to decide which of the lesser of two evils to put back on. The old one with JBWeld or the recondtioned one that might have incorrect spec son the angle face. Why are they selling remanufactured engines without new replacements for lower intake manifold? Ridiculous

Old 11-17-09, 05:31 PM
A lot of remans are what are called long blocks which means it was basically the block with the head and then you add the rest of your old stuff like manifolds.

I would have whoever handles the warranty be checking your coolant issue. You have an oil sample showing the presence of coolant in the oil. Let them do a pressure test on the coolant system and see if it leaks down. If your having problems with an engine that you just had installed and has warranty they need to step up and not you running around in circles.

Old 11-17-09, 06:07 PM
why don't you look around for a good used manifold.
Not a reconditioned manifold.
there should not need any machining of the manifold,Unless the head gasket surface of the heads/eng block have been 'excessively' machined.
'If' that 'is' the case-'i' would request another long block.
why are they replacing the lifters?
it is now-water under the bridge-(hind sight -20/20)-you may have a less than desireable eng co.

Old 11-17-09, 06:59 PM
See if you're getting any bubbles in the coolant with the engine warmed up completely. If not and the oil isn't showing any antifreeze, it's probably the intake leaking.

You can get a lot of used parts for a 2.9. That's an engine that goes for 250,000 miles frequently. Those things are in most salvage yards.

I know you've posted here a lot about that engine you put in and you are having a ton of problems.

Old 11-18-09, 04:42 AM
If the manifold you are talking about is the intake manifold then you would have a vacume leak.Coolant in the oil is a cracked head or bad head gasket.Do a compression test of the engine and a pressure test of the coolant system you will get a better Idea of your problem.

Old 11-18-09, 06:04 AM
I checked the oil cap yesterday and now I am seeing a little bit of greem slime. I notice some of you are of the opinion that the coolant contamination is head gasket, cracked head, and not the reconditoned manifold. Why is that?

To answer another question, the mechanic wants to replace the lifters because of a sound we both heard. When I rev the engine and it winds down to an idle we hear a rattle. He already adjusted the valves and that didn't fix it

The mechanic says he has to assume that the coolant leak is related to the reconditioned lower manifold, since this all coincided with that part installation. He probably doesn't want to disassemble down to the head area because he can't justify a warranty repair to the firm if he doesn't find anything. He doesn't think much about compression tests but said he would do a coolant leak-down test. He assures me that I will get warranty coverage. But I told him I am sick of this and I am tired of coming back for every little noise and symptom

Is there any sure way to narrow down the coolant leak to either lower manifold or cylinder head area?

Old 11-19-09, 04:14 AM
I notice some of you are of the opinion that the coolant contamination is head gasket, cracked head, and not the reconditoned manifold. Why is that?
Some intake manifolds are cross flow for the coolant and some aren't. The cross flow jobs have coolant running through them which allows the leak to occur at the mating. That engine manifold may not have coolant in it. Your mechanic would have seen if it was when he assembled it.

If you are getting coolant in the oil it would likely be at the head gasket. A lot of times when you are burning the antifreeze coolant has to enter the combustion chamber at the head gasket and the compression blows back through that same path = air bubbles in the radiator. That leak can be a regular geyser. It is possible to get a cold engine leakage that seals back off when the engine warms up, though.

Was that engine bought as a long or short block?

Old 11-19-09, 05:29 AM
I believe it was a long block. It did not include exhaust manifold or lower intake manifold

Old 11-19-09, 05:35 AM
So you bought it with the heads installed or did your mechanic install them? It sounds like the engine will have to be taken down to having the heads off, anyway. It could be something cracked or a gasket - really difficult to say. You just have to think in terms of possibilities.

Old 11-19-09, 09:24 AM
Yes, the heads came installed. Today I am going to drop by after work. He says he will do a hydrocarbon test to see if the there is a problem with the cylinder head/gasket area.