88 Toyota Camry window switch/wiring?

Old 11-17-09, 07:30 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
88 Toyota Camry window switch/wiring?

I have a 1988 Toyota Camry s/w, 300k, 4 cyl, auto w/ power windows. Both windows on the passenger side stopped working years ago (at different times). I assumed it was the regulator motors. This weekend I replaced the motor on the front passenger door and I am mystified. The motor will work going up just fine but will not go down at all no matter what I do. I re-installed the old motor and found out that it too worked going up but not going down. With either motor un-installed again they work only in one direction and the regulator itself moves easily in all directions with no motor. I replaced the master switch in the drivers door (only because I had one handy) and it made no difference.

Is this a switch problem? Since it is the whole right side, could it be a wiring problem before the switches? In testing the switches what should I look for? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car? How can I run a direct live wire to the motor to test? Thanks!

Old 11-18-09, 04:18 AM
M
If you have power going to motor (which you obviously do, seeing window will go up) then you need to test switch at door. All it does to reverse direction, to go down, is reverse the polarity to the motor, and that should be done in the switch. You should have constant power to switch at one terminal, then power to other terminals (one at a time) when switch is pushed one way (up) and other way (down). If you use a test light or multimeter, both wires going back to motor, should show voltage, when switch in that position. You may also want to check ground as well. You can send power to motor, but if opposite wire not supplying ground, same result will happen. In one position, it will be + 12v, and when switch other direction it should be ground. Also check in your doorjamb area by the hinges, on drivers door as well as passenger in the loom, for a cracked, bared, damaged, kinked,or broken wire, that also is a common spot for bad connection. The more the door is opened and closed, the more likely that will cause it to become damaged.

Old 11-18-09, 09:57 AM
S
Seeing that there are just two wires connected to the actual motor (with five going into the switch), are you saying that when the window is going up the power goes in one wire with the other a return and when going down it is reversed - or are you saying that when going up power goes in one wire with the other wire dead (and the return is just the metal car frame) and when the window is going down the other wire is hot and the first wire is now dead? thanks

Old 07-14-10, 10:58 AM
S
Update - I eventually hard wired an electrical switch to work the front passenger window bypassing all the switches, just hot to manual switch to motor - not pretty but it goes up and down so I am happy.

But then one day the rear driver's side window would go down but not up (kind of opposite of both passenger windows that would all go up but not down). Again I tried checking the switches and it was not them. But then as I was playing with the car/switches/... I turned the car key on and heard a click coming from under the dash on the passenger side (right kick panel or under dash) and then the switches/window motor worked and the window went up just fine - I had not heard this click before. Is there a window relay under the passenger side dash? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car? Is there a power window relay (I can't find one listed at the parts stores) and if so where is it? Could there be two relays - why do the passenger windows only go up but the drivers rear only go down?

Old 07-14-10, 08:49 PM
B
For this kind of stuff it is well worth it to order a factory service manual set of books from the dealer. That would include electrical diagrams and diagrams showing where each and every associated relay is located. Also what wire color goes to what.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: