Old 11-29-09, 01:53 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
84 S10 sqeaking with hi-speeds

my 84 s10 make a metal on metal squeaking sound when going over 45
if i tap the breaks it stops
does not squeak when applying the breaks to stop

sometimes stopping at low speed there is a very quick similar sound when i first apply break, but not continuous.

hopefully this is a simple break job, not something large

by the way i only drive on weekends...max 10k per year

thanks

JC

Old 11-29-09, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Check into your wheel bearings. It may very well be brakes, but if the brakes aren't applied, and there is noise, then it probably isn't the brakes. Tapping your brakes at 45 MPH could take the wobble out of the bearing long enough to silence the noise.

Old 11-29-09, 08:13 PM
H
thanks

Originally Posted by chandler
Check into your wheel bearings. It may very well be brakes, but if the brakes aren't applied, and there is noise, then it probably isn't the brakes. Tapping your brakes at 45 MPH could take the wobble out of the bearing long enough to silence the noise.
what's a fair estimate to get the wheel bearing fixed or new ones installed

th

Old 12-03-09, 06:28 PM
L
That depends, if you have a 4x4 they are between $90 and $160 each just for the parts. If 4x4 I would only use a Timken, the cheap 1 year $99 ones are junk. Replacement time when I did it was about 1 to 1.5 hours. Taking it to a shop will run you about $300 a side. If it's a 4x2, the bearings are probably only $15 each and a 20 minute job each side.

Usually when a wheel bearing goes bad you hear a growling sound. I diagnose by driving straight and then turn gently left and then right. If the noise goes away when you rurn right, it's the left one that is bad and vice-versa. This method has never failed me yet.

Old 12-03-09, 08:01 PM
i would first check the brakes, if the pads are close to worn out, brakes may squeak because the pads move a little bit letting the squealer tabs hit the rotor until you apply the brake. this will happen until the pads wear out. then it will be noisy constantly. wheel bearings usually make a growling type noise that will change when pitch the truck side to side a bit while driving.( loading and unloading the bearing)

Old 12-04-09, 02:02 PM
W
Sounds like a brake pad "squealer" to me. I would look at the brakes first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: