lost bolts

Old 11-24-09, 09:38 AM
lost bolts

Was working on my 93 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with 5.2 size engine. I lost the two dang bolts that bolt on the EGR valve. Can't remember how long they are or much of anything about them, except that they're gone now. What are some ways that might be suggested to find out exactly what size/type of bolts I need for replacement?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-09, 09:59 AM
If you call your local Jeep dealer and talk to one of the parts guys nicely they may do it. When I sold parts I would do it all the time. Autozone may be able to help you also.

Old 11-24-09, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't start the engine until you find them, or make reasonably sure they didn't fall in the hole of the valve. Run a magnet into the hole to make sure.

Old 11-24-09, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by jpr28056 View Post
If you call your local Jeep dealer and talk to one of the parts guys nicely they may do it. When I sold parts I would do it all the time. Autozone may be able to help you also.
Thanks. Local Jeep dealer parts guy told me they have actually have those particular bolts in stock, for 7 bucks each. Or, he said, they look to him like regular 3/8" course thread bolts 3/4" long.

Old 11-24-09, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Don't start the engine until you find them, or make reasonably sure they didn't fall in the hole of the valve. Run a magnet into the hole to make sure.
I'm reasonably sure (quite postive, in fact) that they didn't fall into the hole. Because I remember putting them aside somewhere where I'd be sure to remember where they are so they'd be there again when I needed them. But what I forgot was to remember to remember. hate it when I do that

Old 11-24-09, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Thanks. Local Jeep dealer parts guy told me they have actually have those particular bolts in stock, for 7 bucks each. Or, he said, they look to him like regular 3/8" course thread bolts 3/4" long.
Not sure I'd be happy being told what a bolt "looks like" versus what they actually are.That said if they are that size then you can certainly get a bolt for a lot less than 7 bucks.I can't believe a grade 8 bolt wouldn't do the job.That's assuming it's a hex head bolt.Unless it's a specifric bolt type made for the purpose you could get your bolts for a lot less than that.

Old 11-24-09, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Go buy one..since they are stock...take it to a good hardware store or supplier..match it..then return it to the dealer. Sorry..but $7 for a bolt is a ripoff.

Old 11-24-09, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Go buy one..since they are stock...take it to a good hardware store or supplier..match it..then return it to the dealer. Sorry..but $7 for a bolt is a ripoff.
Yeah, most anything I've ever had to buy through a dealership is a high-priced ripoff. It's ridiculous what they charge for stuff. Good idea Gunguy, I'll follow your suggestion. thanks

Old 11-24-09, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by jpr28056 View Post
We don't have an Autozone in my location, but the local NAPA store said they'd need the VIN number of the vehicle and then with that they could order me the bolts from a dealer. So, I talked to the parts guy nicely at a Jeep dealer and he said he could sell me the right bolts for 7 bucks each.