Crankshaft Oil Seal Grooves

Old 11-25-09, 03:07 PM
Question Crankshaft Oil Seal Grooves

I removed the oil pump from a '92 Honda Accord because the crankshaft seal was leaking. After I removed the pump I discovered that the seal land on the crankshaft was grooved. I'm not sure if the oil leak was due to the seal (which had hardened) or the grooves in the crankshaft or both. I really don't want to replace/repair the crankshaft so I'm wondering if J-B Weld can be used to fill the grooves. Will J-B Weld hold up to the abrasive action of the seal or will the J-B Weld itself abrade the seal? Has anyone ever tried this and does it work?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure on Honda, but some after market seals take into consideration the groove thingy and offset their seals to a different area. You may want to check with aftermarket places to see if that is the case. As far as JB Weld, I doubt it would be able to take the punishment. After all, the rubber scored hardened steel, it wouldn't stand a chance.

Old 11-25-09, 05:43 PM
I thought as much but this is something new to me so I thought I should get another opinion.

I found MicroSleeve repair sleeves at Silver Seal that look like they should solve my problem.

Old 11-25-09, 05:49 PM
I've used the Microsleave & they work well.. A perment repair that won't haunt you with a comeback later... Roger

Old 11-25-09, 06:44 PM
I'm just wondering about the installation procedure. There doesn't seem to be much on their website about how to install them. I see they have a special tool to install the sleeve but is there any adhesive such as Locktite used to retain the sleeve and keep oil from seeping between the sleeve and the shaft?

Old 11-25-09, 07:22 PM
I believe the instructions come with them & the ones I used had some sealant with them... If not, than a bit of loc-tite won't do any harm... Roger

Old 11-26-09, 05:02 AM
I have used a metric ton of these things on harmonic balancers, they usualy come with some red or green loc-tite, just smear it on, and drive the sleeve into place, nothing could be simpler. They work like a champ.