oldsmobile keeps stalling

Old 11-25-09, 07:01 PM
oldsmobile keeps stalling

I have a 91 olds cutlass ciera 2.5L straight 4.

the engine will cut out before it is fully warmed up. sometimes i can get it to restart but most of the time the first time it quits it will not re-start and i have to let it sit for awhile give the pedal 1 pump wait and then it will start. but then it will stall a couple more times each time at a traffic light. i took it to 2 shops. first one replaced the M.A.T sensor as it was reading -4 degrees F. well that did not solve the problem. the car is still stalling. took it back to that shop and they just started fishing for problems(the gas tank is rusty the lines are rusty etc etc) not even trying to find the real problem. I took it to another shop and they called the other shop sense they never told me the codes and they never saved the codes on the computer and they reset the SES light. SO the new shop kept the car other night and got it to stall. there saying its a bad E.C.M and idle air control fault as the M.A.T sensor is still reading -4 and it was just replaced. whats your idea. i do have money to get it fixed right now and the tech said its not good to drive as you can ruin the engine. he said its possible it could also be the ignition module but won't know until after the computer is replaced.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-09, 04:00 AM
Group Moderator
Two questions come to mind:

1. How expensive is the computer?
2. Will they take it back out and give you a refund if the computer doesn't fix the problem?

Old 11-26-09, 04:51 AM
Tow guy is on the right track, let them try the computer, only after they assure you that you will NOT have to pay for it if the problem is not fixed. That being said, with the MAT sensor still reading -4 I would be looking for a fault in the wiring, a short or open in the MAT circuit. The computer sends out a voltage on one of the wires and determines temp by the voltage it gets back on the other wire, -4 sounds like the bottom of the scale so I would look there first. If there is a short to ground on the wire that takes the voltage from the computer to the MAT sensor it is possible for this to cause excessive current draw and burn up the computer, would not take much current as FRED cant stand too much. If a new FRED is pluggged in with a shorted circuit he will be dead in an instant as well.
FRED = f***** redicuilous electronic device
Hey tow guy, remember when cars actually could run without computers?

Old 11-26-09, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, and they had this thing called a carburetor for fuel delivery, too!

Old 11-26-09, 11:32 AM
ok talked to my mom sense she took the car in. the tech said the wireing was bad around the computer.don't know if hes going to replace the wiring or not will have to ask when i do take it in.