Check eng. soon light

Old 11-27-09, 05:01 PM
Check eng. soon light

2001 Grand Am 3.4, Bad thermostat eng. ran hot gauge read about 100 deg. Eng hot/ rad cold. I replaced the thermostat gauge reads normal around 200 deg. I disconnected the batt to see if service eng soon light would go out. The light is still on Will it reset itself after some miles get put on?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-09, 05:21 PM
Take it to advance auto. They will normally read the code for free and reset it for you as well. I bought a code reader from them several years ago for like $75. Pays for itself if you ever have to rescan.

Old 11-27-09, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply & the info about buying a scan tool. After I posted I thought maybe the car running hot caused somthing else to fail.

Old 11-28-09, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Depends on what caused the light to come on in the first place. Definitely get a scan so you will know what codes were set before you reset the light.

Old 11-28-09, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it a CEL or a check engine "soon" light. That is usually an oil change warning instead of a code related issue. Get the codes read, but I believe it is resettable at oil change time.

Old 11-28-09, 09:39 PM
After about ten or fifteen miles the check eng. soon light went off. Now I will get the oil changed. The car has an change oil light also. Thanks for the replies.