93 cavalier won't start

Old 11-29-09, 03:54 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry 93 cavalier won't start

Z24 3.1 been down for 3 weeks, I have no other form of transportation and my son and I need a vehicle as we live far from everything and don't know very many people. That's why I'm doing this myself. lol checked the coils, they work in the other car but not mine. Changed out the ignitions switch, fuel pump and filter, strainer, lines, etc. etc. Cleaned up the plate behind the coils. Nothing is working, it cranks but doesn't start.Any Ideas?

Old 11-29-09, 04:44 PM
F
"checked the coils, they work in the other car but not mine."

Does this mean you have another old car and you changed the coils on the two cars and you do not have spark on the car you are trying to get going?

Its important to know if there is spark or no spark.

Old 11-29-09, 10:18 PM
A
I agree, determining if you have spark is the first step. One at a time pull each plug wire and using a well insulated pair of pliers hold plug wire near the top of the plug while someone cranks the engine. You should see a blue spark at each cylinder. If you don't see it on any of them you may have an ECM failure or possibly a crankshaft position sensor problem. Commonly on the 3.1 you will have spark on half of the cylinders but not the other half, in which case it is probably the module that the coils attach to and sit on top of. Cheap and easy to replace, but I don't remember the name of it.

Old 11-30-09, 02:07 AM
A
when the crank shaft sensor goes bad it will also cause some carbon build up change the oxygen sensor and it should go off they do not need to be reset and if it does if the problem is fixed unhook the battery and it will reset the whole computer and the light will go off only if the problem is fixed and to check it out for 49.95 is way to much there is nothing to putting it on the scanner i only charge $25 it only take a couple of mins.

Old 12-17-09, 11:23 AM
H
Question

Originally Posted by frankiee
"checked the coils, they work in the other car but not mine."

Does this mean you have another old car and you changed the coils on the two cars and you do not have spark on the car you are trying to get going?

Its important to know if there is spark or no spark.
No spark on one car but the coil pack works on the other, same make model and year. (even color) lol

Old 12-17-09, 11:31 AM
H
Question

It's the connector between the ignition control module and the ignition switch. What is the name of it?

Old 12-17-09, 04:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
And if you feel that due to insufficient funds you may even have to shotgun this repair, then remember the junkyard where things cost less. You could always buy a new one if the used one fixes you up. Or if you happen to have an aquaintance with same vehicle where you can try their part on your car, if some easy bolt on item.

I was actually in that position where I could have done that very thing a while back, when 3 people in close proximity owned the same car/engine type. And they all had second cars too which would have made experimenting like this even more feasible. Just something to keep in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: