1995 Mercury Mystique Blower

Old 12-02-09, 06:34 PM
1995 Mercury Mystique Blower

Daughters blower motor quit ,I pulled motor and bench tested and it works,this happened once before but it started working again,how do I check for power at connector, I put voltage meter on to connector ends but nothing changed when I turned switch,should I be butting only one prong from volt meter on connector and other to a ground??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, positive lead to the connector, negative to ground. One of the terminals in the connector will be a ground, but easier just to go to a chasis ground and not have to figure out what wire is ground. Also be aware there is a resistor in the circuit that controls the speed settings.

Old 12-03-09, 07:58 AM
As tow guy said, there is a blower motor resistor in the circuit. Plug the motor back in and if it only works on high speed, the resistor is bad.

Old 12-05-09, 03:44 PM
Have replaced resistor still no luck, fuse is good and so is blower motor so now I'm down to it being a bad wire It has now reached 20 below here to cold to try and track down bad wire so what I have planned is to wire blower motor direct to a hot wire with a toggle switch in between so all she will have is high speed untill weather breaks then I'll try to track down problem My question is will this hurt the blower motor??

Old 12-05-09, 04:38 PM
i was looking at the wiring diagram and i would
try checking the 15 amp backup lamp fuse(should be #23), this also powers the heater mode switch which operates the blower relay.
when the relay closes it feeds power to the blower from the 30 amp fuse (should be #37). both of these fuses are located in the interior fuse panel. also R14 (yellow) is the blower relay. R13 is also yellow this is for the rear defroster.these are also located in the interior fuse panel.
hope this helps.

Old 12-05-09, 07:39 PM
No that won't hurt the motor,, It'll get you back on the road again...Ford had issues with the blower switch & plug with some of these...They even had a repair kit... Have you checked the switch & plug yet??? You will always have power to the blower motor with the key on & the switch selects the different resisters in the blower resister to select the speeds by grounding the motor thru different resisters......The switch is on the ground side & has nothing to do with the power feed.. Do you have 12 volts to the blower motor on 1 of the 2 wires going to it??? 12 volts on the other coming out of it?? (with key & blower on) If so, there is a ground problem in the resister (you replaced already & I assume you verified the plug & connections are good) or the switch or the ground for the switch... My money is on the switch & the connector... Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 12-05-09 at 07:42 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-06-09, 09:48 AM
Okay heres what I ended doing.Using A test light I found out there was no power coming from the fuse box Not knowing how to go about tracking it down I then took test light and found out which side of unused fuse slot had power to it, into that slot I inserted a wire,then taking a old fuse I cut it in half so it had only one prong this I inserted into same hole as wire to hold it their. Next I found which side of fuse slot in blower motor fuse went to blower switch and inserted wire into opposite side then pushed fuse back in Ran fan for 30-40 minutes just to see if wire heated up Everything worked fine. As soon as weather warms up daughters going to bring car back so I can see if I can track down bad connection or wire,Any suggestions on where to start? Also I would like to thank all who have replied to my post,you were all a great help

Old 12-06-09, 03:52 PM
when you say no power coming from fuse box, where were you checking for power, at the blower motor or at the fuse panel?
when you jumped power to the blower motor fuse what number fuse was it? also did you make sure the jumper is fuse protected?
does the blower work with the blower switch on dash or is it just on with the ignition now?

Old 12-06-09, 04:30 PM
Checked for power at blower motor got nothing so went right to fuse box still nothing,I bought power from a empty fuse slot to the power slot on blower fuse slot then replaced fuse so blower motor is fuse protected,ignition has to be on for blower to work and blower fuse has to be in for blower to work Just bought power from different slot

Old 12-08-09, 06:12 PM
the blower fuse is fed by power to the fuse panel. from there it goes to the blower relay then to the blower motor. seems like the problem is the power feed to the fuse in the panel.
i tried to add the image of the wiring diagram to this post but i couldn't get it to work. if you go here you should be able to check it out.
mystique blower diagram on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
it may make more sense if you can look at the circuit laid out.
hope this helps.

Old 12-09-09, 04:44 AM
THANKS mech 1 I downloaded wiring diagram,After looking at it for a few minutes I a couple of times then looked at it again I think I got a handle on it but not 100% sure What I need is to know where wire that feeds power to blower fuse goes to Is their a common wire in fuse block?? Never looked at one before so don't really understand fuse block Might have to go to pick a part and rip one out just to see

Old 12-09-09, 07:59 PM
most of the time several fuses will be fed from the same power source, one wire feeding a strip in the fuse box.
i added another diagram of the power distribution, for this circuit. i added an x's near the circuit you should look at.
it looks like the power for the blower fuse is only fed by a 60 amp fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment that also feeds the abs(antilock brake system) control module. check the 60 amp fuse, maybe its blown. of course if it is you may be chasing another problem.

Last edited by mech1; 12-09-09 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added info