transmission problem

Old 12-05-09, 08:51 PM
transmission problem

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country....well maintained...with 220,000 miles. I have replaced the tramission control module last year.....(tranny failing to up shift). Today.. (cold weather start) I fired it up and placing it in gear for the first time.. (Reverse) felt nothing....herd nothing....van did not move.....engine would rev....acked like it was in neutral. Selected (Drive)...same thing...back to (Reverse) trans engaged pulled out of drive....seemed normal....shifted to (Drive)....same thing....felt like neutral...couple of times I shifted to (D then R) suddenly seemed fine. Drove 6 blocks... trans shifted perfect.....parked. Later same day...exact same thing...Fluid level fine...trans serviced at proper intervals...no noise's. Seems electrical......no codes.....no check engine light...which has always worked properly in past...Any idea's????????on what I should check??????

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 06:30 PM
Ok well I had the exact same issue with my old Grand am that has 290kms on it.. original tranny... well hate to say but its a worn tranny. Its the internal seals ... and all it is, is that it hasnt built up enough pressure for it to shift right away. For me if I shifted to D nothing 3rd nothing 2nd.. right away into gear.. then I moved it back to D and worked fine.

But one thing I did to remove this problem.. some people say its bad I stand by it.. but change your tranny fluid and add 1 bottle of Lucas transmission fix and only that brand.. First or second time starting after having it in.. will first first and every time cold or not.. lasts about 1 year... change fluid and re add a bottle...

I did this for 5 years and added 80kms tranny still worked fine..

Worked for me.. alot cheaper than 3k for a tranny

Old 12-12-09, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
At 220,000 miles I wouldn't say doing anything for some more life would be "bad". That's a lot of miles on your average passenger vehicle tranny.