Fine-tuning Grand Voyager...

Old 12-06-09, 08:48 AM
Fine-tuning Grand Voyager...

Got my wife's '90 Grand Voyager 3.3l MFI/A604 running pretty good and reliably. Just an item or two to clear up, and we'll both be happy. First, a synopsis of my last post - New fuel pump and filter got it to limp the 300-mile trip home on its own power. A fuel pressure regulator got it to run better without stumbling or falling down on acceleration or under load. Then a fluid/filter change, battery dis/reconnect and solenoid pack connector cleanout brought the trans out of "limp mode".
Now, though, the engine turns over a lot longer than it used to before it fires when cold. If it's been running and shutdown, restart is pretty quick, but still not the almost instantaneous start it used to offer. With so many new fuel system parts, what can it be? Maybe a check valve in the in-tank pump support? I hate to do it, but if I have to drop the tank again, it will get ALL new hoses, pump support and pump, everything in the tank. Ideas? Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 08:18 PM
You put a fuel pump on it already,,right??? I think the check valve is in the pump @ the tank end & the regulator is the check valve @ the engine end... Put a fuel pressure gage on it to verify loss of fuel pressure.. Unless you bought defective parts, & you verify a loss of fuel pressure,, I'd say you may have a leaky line or an injector... Roger

Old 12-07-09, 07:06 AM
Thanks, hopkinsr2. When I replaced the pump, it was JUST the pump. There was a lot of cushions and other stuff included, but no check valve. I'm assuming the check valve was on the in-tank assembly - there was a hose to it from the pump, then a hose from it to the pressure side hose barb on top of the tank unit. Interestingly, the replacement in-tank assembly (includes pump) on my parts store's website doesn't show this check valve (assuming a valve is what this structure is). And while the injectors have the same 200K+ miles on them that the old regulator had on it, to have them fail at the same time as everything else seems odd, doesn't it?

Old 12-07-09, 08:17 AM
It does seem odd,, Can you put a pressure tester on it to see if you get pressure right away?? I'm not that familliar with the dodge, but I'm sure they have a time limit to hold fuel pressure sfter shutdown.. I've only replaced 2 or 3 pumps in the vans & I thought the check valve was integrel with the outlet of the pump as the Fords & most of the others I've seen.. If there not, I've never replaced one..

Old 12-07-09, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As the battery ages, it can take longer to fire the engine. Just wondering how old yours is, and since it should be cool/cold in Branson this time of year, that could compound the problem. Also might check or replace the plugs if they have been in for a while.

Old 12-07-09, 06:55 PM
Thanks, guys. The battery HAS been in for a while; I've replaced the plugs a few times since I put this battery in. I really need to talk to my Snap-On man about a fuel injection-compatible fuel pressure gauge, too. But if it's time for plugs, Accel and Moroso are making tapered-seat plug indexing washers,... And if the engine's been running in open-loop for a while (I also replaced the thermostat - stuck open, no warm-up), I'll bet the plugs ARE all crapped up... It's just too cold right now to get too excited about it.

Old 12-12-09, 12:27 PM
exact same issue with my 97 caravan... I thought maybe timing or fuel pump... got it in limp mode as well ... turned out to be the Electronic EGR valve.. never gave a code... I kept recipt and replaced started like new... I will bet 10grand thats it

Old 12-19-09, 10:09 AM
What happens when you cycle key On,Off, (not start) 2 or 3 times, then try start? If it fires right up as it did before, then your probably loosing fuel pressure, which should be there as soon as you cycle key to on the first time. That's another reason for fuel pressure testing. Also, Having worked in a Chrysler dealership, I'd advise, using Champion plugs. I've seen many occasions where other plugs just don't work well in Chrysler products. Just recently advised a lady who did hers and was sold Bosch plugs to install, and it ran like crap after. She double checked everything, even replaced a couple of unnecessary parts she suspected were the problem, and i finally convinced her to put Champions in it, and the problems were cured. Not with Chrysler now if that's what your thinking, but my last 4 & current Chrysler's get nothing other than Champions.

Search this Thread