'97 Saturn

Old 12-06-09, 08:49 AM
'97 Saturn

Hello again. Thanks for all the help with my last problem. I've got a new one. My '97Saturn Sl will not start. It turns over, has fuel to the rail, has spark, but will not start. Can anyone offer some suggestions on where to as I can't afford to tow it 40 miles to the Saturn dealer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Fuel to the rails doesn't always mean fuel in the cylinders; the injectors have to actuate. Will it at least cough if you squirt it with a little starting fluid? Also wouldn't hurt to get a code read.

No good independent garages near you? No reason to haul it 40 miles just to use a dealership service department (unless of course you're in my area and I get the tow ).

Old 12-06-09, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mass air flow sensor on Saturns cause problems with starting. You can buy a cleaner specifically for them, or buy a new sensor as they aren't that expensive. Just curious, does the 97 have plug wires? Later models (2001) had bank modules and no other ignition part, as the computer controlled the spark. Like TG said, get a code read on it.

Old 12-06-09, 02:34 PM
yes, in reply to the coughing. It does occasionally cough while turning over.

Old 12-14-09, 12:05 PM
thanks for your help. I got a code reader and w/o the vehicle running, there are no codes. It does cough when just turning over, tries to start, then nothing for a while. The only independants near here don't know muck about Saturns. Any more suggestions???

Old 12-14-09, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Nothing special about troubleshooting a Saturn; standard GM stuff.

Fuel pressure good a place as any to start. You'll need a gauge. If you can't remember the last time you changed the fuel filter you might try that as a cheap, easy try. Also check injectors for pulse; you'll need a test light (noid). Both of these checks are something that any garage, even a bad one, can do.